Forums are dying because of Social Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

Don't go biting my head off. This is meant to be a discussion and I want to hear what you think.

I personally think that a few years ago bullitin boards and forums were far more popular and more engaging but now I fine them frustrating. On social networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter they have complicated algorithms in use to see what's trending and popular. They know what your interested in so the content is always fresh and relevant. I now find when I visit a forum, and I'm not just referring to WJunction, it's a lot harder to find content your interested in as you have to scroll through the recent topics on the chance you find something interesting.

Do you find forums as engaging or do you have any tricks for finding fresh content on forums you may find interesting?

30 comments
Now I prefer question and answer sites, like SO, where you can get faster results than you expect in forums. And it's easier to find what you are interested in with tags. I think it depends on what type of content the forum is focused on, like in programming you can't do constructive programming in a social networking site.

True - people tend to communicate with other through FB,G+ and Twitter. Also You need to think about one more idea - too much of information around You... After reading whole wall of fb posts I literally don't have time and/or energy to read forums.

OFC people will always publish the content (Wrz i.e) and put on forums - but the community will be not as stron as it was in the past :).

Now I prefer question and answer sites, like SO, where you can get faster results than you expect in forums. And it's easier to find what you are interested in with tags. I think it depends on what type of content the forum is focused on, like in programming you can't do constructive programming in a social networking site.
Taking programming as an example yes question and answer sites are better like SO (StackOverflow.com for those that don't know) are far better. StackOverflow does have similar elements though as it has algorithms which show relevant answers. These are powered by tags, and both questions and answers which are rated but from a discussion and news point of view I still think social networks are better particularly Google+ which is more of a male tech nerds hangout.

You'll always have specialized sites that survive but for general news and discussion no matter the topic social sites are taking more control.

I actually came into warez because of google's old social network Orkut.
There were forums and I joined a few, became active, became a member of blakut.com (we changed from warez news) and then everyone migrated to Facebook but still I feel discussion in a forum is much better.
Now we just discuss amongst ourselves.

Basically I think its just filtering out the unwanted.

Forums are dying???
nope dude.

Reason :-
Social media site don't have category like forums.

A webmaster forum is an good example for this.

There are so many categories.
like:- Sales/ Coder etc.
but A Social media site don't have this. Social media's pages are only for a specific Category.

Isn't it?

They need not be for a specific category arnav, if the members are limited you can have a very good discussion on whatever you need to.
Facebook GROUPS is very good IMO

But what will happen if it become large?????

Once it become large it will hard to find interesting thoughts.

After become a part of Forum, we can search in forums. But we cannot search in Social Media Page.

Forums are dying???
nope dude.

Reason :-
Social media site don't have category like forums.

A webmaster forum is an good example for this.

There are so many categories.
like:- Sales/ Coder etc.
but A Social media site don't have this. Social media's pages are only for a specific Category.

Isn't it?
Not entirely true. In social media sites you can set up groups (Facebook) or Circles (Google) which relate to people and categories.

Not entirely true. In social media sites you can set up groups (Facebook) or Circles (Google) which relate to people and categories.

In social media sites Owner have to move users in specific category. But in Forum we can choose what we want.

In social media sites Owner have to move users in specific category. But in Forum we can choose what we want.
I don't get it? Are you saying you can't chose in a social network? I'd argue the opposite and you've more control and choice in a social network.

Mr.Happy wrote :
"In social media sites you can set up groups (Facebook) or Circles (Google) which relate to people and categories."

So i answered : In Forum user can choose what he want. But in social medial a public user cannot setup group.

I would have to agree you can share just about anything on facebook from music, information, media, an idea, a thought.. by people commenting on your status you can engage in a back and forth conversation in realtime.

Social media sites pretty much become the central portal for anything.. its now a weather channel, a tv guide, you hardly miss a thing if you have the right contacts and group interests.. i still love blogs and forums because they are more in depth and specific than the random/watered down stuff on facebook.

Interesting debate !

I much prefer forums to FB,twitter, google etc etc

Ive asked numerous questions on here over the last year or so and I even to this day go back to the answers for reference, now I cant do that on FB, neither can I reach a targeted audiance like I can here, if I want to know about making money thats where i go, if i need advice on php lets say then i pop off to that section.

I think what has killed or is killing the likes of this forum and others in this niche is the fact that everyone is turning into cash whores, and/or the forums are being run by kids still in school.

That being said some child run forums do go places so im not trying to sterio type just the way it looks to an old guy like me.

Anyway great thread

Cheers
RR

My thoughts...

# Social networks cant have long topics , so looking at the brighter side of this social network effect , forums will get more interesting threads on them

# Forums tend to have a longer duration of interaction , on the other hand social networks are mostly trend based ,

# Interaction in a forum never ends , it just keeps on building on top of the main post ...

I got into warez when the communities played a massive role, and then when a few good community sites died then people would move to another site but it just wasn't the same, now I find it very hard to find a community apart from WJ. I've stopped with warez due to there is no community anymore, just uploaders wanting moneys and owners not caring.

I prefer forums because I like getting to know new people as I learn new things and being able to have extended discussions on things. My Facebook has to be professional and not have a bunch of opinions or weird things on it that could make my bosses look bad. I'd much rather post on a forum and get to know people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back