FileShoppe - With instant payouts! Not your typical file host

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remote upload is not really a priority for us at the moment. Actually, remote upload is quite trivial if we are talking about downloading from a straight URL. But I assume that many of you want more than this simple remote download feature.

We are working on a number of other features such as white labeled pages and vanity domain name.

Hi ShadowHunter,

I think you have misunderstood what this term is about.[/quote]

I understand perfectly!

Please note there is a distinction between site coins, and money.

Money is money!
This is cash that can be spent anywhere. It is like having money in your bank account, your wallet, your paypal. We have no control/say over your money held in your CarrotPay account.

Then, if it is true that you have NO control over money, then how can you issue "Coupons" to affiliates who sell thier files for under $1? Eg: I sell a file for $0.20 and FileShoppe gives me $0.19 worth of FS credits instead.

I thought the money we earned from file sales go DIRECTLY & INSTANTLY into our "merchant" (CarrotPay), if that was true then FileShoppe couldn't do this!!!

You say this on you FileShoppe introduction on page 1:

"Instant Payout
FileShoppe
pays out instantly on every premium/paid download. Funds are cleared into your merchant account the instant the downloader begins their download!"

Lie number 1.

So what do those terms mean?
Obviously, if you want to sell a file, you won't be too happy if you receive coupons and not cash.

Damn right! Especially after you told us we get our cash straight into our CarrotPay account, which isn't the case. You never mentioned anything about FileShoppe credits/coupons, and led us to believe this.

I had to find out about this on your T&C's page.

VERY DISHONEST!

So if you recieve a coupon as paymet for your files, we will redeem it for REAL $$$ cash.

Once you reach $40!!! A payout threshold! But again, you lead people to believe thier payouts are instant, which isn't true!

Lie number 2.

We place a few limitations to avoid fraud. For example, we give away $1 (site coin/coupon) to all new users, and $5 to all new content providers. If we actually gave out cash, then it would open it up to abuse and people could simply suck us dry. We have a minimum threshold to prevent this and the only way to accumulate $40 in site coins is through sales of their files.

See what I wrote above!

We also limit the acceptance of site coins up to $1. So if you upload a file and charge $1.01 or more, site coins cannot be used to pay for that item at all (not even in part). We do this because we do not wish our content providers to feel ripped off if all they receive are site coins.[/QUOTE]

You said people could charge up $200 for thier files!

"Priced Files
Uploaders can release their files for a fee and maximize their earnings!You can charge between $0.01 and $200.00 for your digital goods! The bandwidth fee remains static at $0.01 per 100MB."

Lie number 3

"We do this because we do not wish our content providers to feel ripped off if all they receive are site coins

Please don't try to make a fool out of me and the good people of WJ!!!

This means content providers are ONLY able to accept FileShoppe credits/coupons/coins/crap!

Lie number 4.

We have been 100% truthful, and I hope this explantion clarifies our position.

Thank you for your time.

Lie number 5!!!

I'm afraid you have not understood. I will try to explain this better.

SiteCoins are a feature offered by CarrotPay. You can see their documentation here on how to implement it: https://secure.carrot.org/en/GB/documents.

Basically, one of the features CarrotPay offer is the ability to issue 'SiteCoins' which are a type of coupon spendable only with a specific Merchant account. The purpose of these SiteCoins is diverse. Like with coupons, we use them to encourage users to try the premium service for free! This is simply an exploitation of the services available with CarrotPay. We do the same thing with their 'split payment' facility, which is not offered by other gateways.

When we issue a site coin, these are held in the user's CarrotPay Wallet and when they visit our site, they will see this amount as an available balance. It will not be visible when visiting other websites (as no other website would accept it).

So, not a lie.

Damn right! Especially after you told us we get our cash straight into our CarrotPay account, which isn't the case. You never mentioned anything about FileShoppe credits/coupons, and led us to believe this.

I had to find out about this on your T&C's page.

VERY DISHONEST!

Not at all. We will still REDEEM this 'free money' at face value. If you receive $40 of site coins, then you can exchange for REAL cash.

Obviously we do not wish our users to end up with worthless coupons, so it is for this reason we offer to redeem them, making them almost as good as cash! They do have value! It is also clearly labelled in our T&C so I fail to see the dishonesty.

We also set the limit to $40 simply to prevent abuse and fraud. We give away $5 site coins just to sign up as a content provider and $1 for downloaders. If we redeemed at face value for whatever value, we would be open to abuse where people would simply cash in their coupons instead of using them for what they were intended. The $40 limit should help prevents this while not incurring any significant delay to the content provider, considering they may very well have already taken the first $6 in give always, and only needed to earn $34.

You said people could charge up $200 for thier files!

"Priced Files
Uploaders can release their files for a fee and maximize their earnings!You can charge between $0.01 and $200.00 for your digital goods! The bandwidth fee remains static at $0.01 per 100MB."

Lie number 3

You have really misunderstood this one.

Files can be priced between $0.01 and $200, but site coins can only be spent on files UNDER $1.

For example, a file sold for $0.50 may be paid for with a site coin. However, a file that is sold for $2.00 may ONLY be paid for with REAL CASH. So if you are selling files over $1, you will not receive any site coins at all.

Please don't try to make a fool out of me and the good people of WJ!!!

This means content providers are ONLY able to accept FileShoppe credits/coupons/coins/crap!

Lie number 4.

I am not trying to make a fool out of anyone. You have just misunderstood our model. I believe you are tying to find something quite nefarious, but I assure you, you will find our system to be quite transparent and honest. It is the premise of our system.

And no, we do not ONLY accept site coins. We accept REAL cash in conjunction with our own issued site coins. Of course we have a preference for CASH as this is how we would make money. We make nothing from accepting site coins. In fact, for each site coin we issue, we stand to lose that upon redemption.

SiteCoins are intended only to help encourage down loaders to go that final step to make a purchase in the hopes they will become repeat customers.

Another thing you may want to think about is, have you ever seen a shopping mall where you can buy gift vouchers which can be used in any of the stores in the mall? This is not much different.

We have been 100% truthful, and I hope this explantion clarifies our position.

Thank you for your time.
Lie number 5!!!

I have indeed been truthful, but I apologize if I have been unclear. If you have any further misunderstandings or queries, I would be more than happy to help clear things up.

Thank you for your time.

How are you uploading?

If you upload by FTP, it will be visible in the 'FTP' page under 'pending transfers'. Here you need to set the price of your files and then click the 'publish' button. Once it is published, it will be visible in 'My Files'.

If you still need further assistance, please PM me.

Hi Pacman1979,

I hope that means you have successfully published your files and can now retrieve your links from the file manager in 'My Files'.

Remember, when you upload via FTP, you are uploading to a temporary holding place only.

Files need to have a set price so before we publish those files, ready for download, you must set the price of how much you wish to sell for (or give away for free).

I hope that makes sense.

Hi Nerdbrain,

If you are uploading via the browser please see this page: http://fileshoppe.net/help.php#BrowserUpload.

Basically, you enter the price (in US cents) next to the file before 'uploading'. If you are not a registered user, you can still upload via the browser, but you need to manually enter your CarrotPay merchant ID. If you are a registered user, it should be filled in for you.

I will see if we can write a tutorial page for CarrotPay but it may take some time to write.

Regarding their login method, they use something called 'OpenID' which is optional. You can either login to CarrotPay using an OpenID account (like Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Google, etc.) or you can just create a separate CarrotPay login. They offer multiple login methods of your convenience.

You can even 'link' your accounts. For example, if you login to CarrotPay using Facebook, you can later login using your Google account and 'link' the two login credentials so they access the same wallet.

This open ID stuff is quite common and used all over. You never actually provide the login details to CarrotPay. You are just authenticating. If you are concerned, just create a CarrotPay account directly.

Unfortunately we no longer offer NL location. If you are uploading from NL, I would reccomend uploading to our US mirror as the HK mirror will be considerably slower for users outside of HK.

the US server should be delta.mercury.fileshoppe.net

We stopped offering NL mirror in May of this year. We still offer 3 locations to download from and 2 locations to upload to.

What kind of speed for upload do you have for the US server?

is fileshoppe still alive? I don't see much activity for quite a while now...

btw, I tried to download a free file, and my browser prompted me to give permission for an external application to run... what is that? Can't users simply download a file without having to let random code execute?

Hi Trekstor,

Sorry for the late reply. We haven't been active on the forum for a while.

1.) FileShoppe is still running yes. Just quietly :-)

2.) Our downloads essentially work as direct file downloads served by the webserver. We have no popup applications so I am not sure what that is about. We have no random code that is executable by the browser either... I'm not sure what that is about.

When uploading a file that you want to make available free of charge there are 2 options for download. Free and Premium. If you try and download the file using the premium link, the CarrotPay wallet will popup in the screen. The wallet itself is on the same pageso does not appear as a normal popup and is not an application that runs on your desktop. If you want to download the file free of charge, you can ignore this and just click on the 'Free Download' link instead.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back