i worked with 512 ram in win 2003 & it was great
i used it in
1) Downloading & Uploading.
2) Torrent
3) Using IDM & JDownloader too .
4) installed FireFox & Opera too .
5) WinRaR.
6) hmmmmm & sometimes Encoding too :D
but i think 19$ will gruantee more 1GB Ram But don't think you will get The much of Ram , HD or CPU like RDP but you will control the whole VPS.

Yea I forget to tell u that u will use win rar in Store to finish fast if you want to use Best or normal u will take some time :p

can you suggest a provider, that you work with ?? thanks

You will be fine, if the host doesn't oversell.
Just don't run anything on the same time, network speed depends on if you get a 100mbps line or a 1gbps line and with how much people you share it.

thanks, that's what i will do

Hi, I disagree to all that are saying that the VPS wont be able to compete the RDP accounts. Look for Xen based virtualized VPS plans. They're just like mini dedicated servers. The resources are highly dedicated and don't share with other VPS accounts on the same server, which many company used and caused customers to think that VPS are weak.

But, just don't try to want something same as RDP performance. RDP is just a dedicated with a user class account.

thanks a lot for this information

If you are using cPanel only, then 512 is sufficient for a start. However, if you are planning to use it for uploading / downloading stuff, it means you must have a windows platform, and of course, windows require quite a lot of resources. So I'd recommend 1 GB RAM for you :)

i will use to download and upload only :)

if you also using for website (wordpress) with 7000++ post,
using cache plugin maybe help

firefox is killing memory, so don't let it always open

no, it's for downloading and uploading only.

Hi!

So lets see:
i'm currently using a redswitches vps, with the smallest package (they have quite good price/hdd rate, for 15 bucks /double the price with windows/ you get 100 gb hdd and 1 gb ram and the speed is usually good too, 2000-4000 kb/s or more).

I use linux vps, and i think you should use that too, as it eats less ram and cpu. A barebone debian 6 vps runs less than 50 mb ram (much less), not to mention that windows has licence fees that you have to pay for on your vps.

For the programs:
you should install vncserver on your vps and a desktop application (i use fluxbox, as it is as light as a desktop can be)
Then install some light filemanager, like pcman filemanager.
After that you should use rtorrent (in screen, so it runs always) for downloading torrents (you can create a watch folder so it automatically downloads torrents which are added to that folder) it is really light and great application, but of course there are some utorrent alternatives like deluge, transmission, etc, which has a good interface too.

you can use firefox or chrome for uploads and downloads, also you can install any addon, like fireget and the rest.

You can even run encodes, but do never ever forget to limit the cpuusage of the encoding applications. You should never use more then 100% of your cpu.

With a little bit of reading you can run all those application on a 256 mb linux vps.

The things you should be aware of: the less the ram (and the price of the vps is) most probably the less the cpu you get with it. On a 256 mb vps, for example, programs are starting up slower. Windows appearing slower.

Always consider the price/value rate. On a 5 dollar vps you should never run encodes, on most "belove 40" vps you shouldn't unrar/rar and download torrents at the same time (it is like raping the disk)
Also, on cheap vps-s you should never have much active torrents, unless the torrent program is configured properly.

If you a RDP user you will sure find 512MB Ram VPS slow.

you can go for some custom plans too. talk to VPS guys that u need that $19 Plan VPS with 1GB Dedicated Ram. i guess mate, after using RDP's of high resources shifting to VPS is not a great idea indeed that too just coz u need Admin privileges.

I didnt get this? RDP is better than VPS? How?

Simple. RDP resources are shared by the users. If there are not many users working on the RDP server, you have access to all resources of the dedicated server.

With VPS your resources are limited. I didn't find this out until I switched from a RDP to a Windows VPS.

A RDP is not necessarily better or worse than a VPS. Your performance on the VPS is almost stable, while on a RDP it varies.

That's the reason why I moved to a VPS. At times the RAR speeds were so bad on the RDP if many users (7-8) were using it simultaneously. On the VPS I have stable performance because I have dedicated resources.

However, these dedicated resources often perform lower than a shared RDP.

sniffdog;1522174 If there are not many users working on the RDP server.[/QUOTE said:
Highly unlikely! Because always there will be many users, only it depends on the time difference between users country!

if you like to tweak your windows it's better to get a vps
though it maybe cannot outperform high-end RDP server
at least you got the dedicated resources 24/7 for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back