CarrotPay with Paypal passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

FShoppe

Hello all,

Some months back, I made a post about the payment gateway CarrotPay.

Carrotpay is the payment gateway of choice at FileShoppe due to their innovative ideas and fresh approach to payment processing.

That being said, there are drawbacks to such innovation and new concepts. The number 1 limiting factor seemed to be that people are weary of change.

Since then they have implemented a much desired feature called Paypal-pass-through.

Anyone familiar with 2Checkout should know what this is. Essentially, CarrotPay, like 2CO, now offer buyers the ability to pay with Paypal without having to sign up to the system. The merchant still recieves all the money at the low rate offered by CarrotPay and the fees associated with using paypal are covered by the buyer (it is added to the overall price when payment is eventually made).

For us (FileShoppe), this represents an amazing opportunity as it opens up our market considerably. I'm sure there are many webmasters on this forum who could benefit from such a system.

There are some problems though. Unfortunatly, it seems their early implementation of Pass through has some bugs. Though working fine on Chrome and FireFox, some versions of IE would fail, leaving the buyer out of pocket and the seller not receiving payment. We reported the error and they have for the time being stopped processing Passthrough payments for users using IE.

Still, worth a look. We have just upgraded our implementation to include passthrough on our own site and will see how well it works

13 comments
Went back and forth with them on this earlier today; they say they've disabled pass through for IE browsers until they can sort it out. The pass through feature has had its share of bugs, no doubt, but it's also quite convenient to say the least.

I don't think it is against Paypal TOS. After all, 2CO do exactly the same thing.

And LifeTalk, indeed there have been problems. But I say give it time. Their core software seems to work pretty well, and I'm sure this will make a fine addition. I know they are looking at offering Credit Card processing too to complement their Paypal pass through feature.

To be perfectly honest though, if Carrot is to become a serious player in the field of micro payments, they either need to raise their fees to all parties to cover the cost of Credit Card/Paypal processing and FRAUD. OR, have a large adoption of bank transfer funding to avoid such fees and possible reversals and become a true cash like E-Payment system.

But for now, the transition is needed, and like you say LifeTalk, it is quite convenient, to say the least.

@FShoppe stopfilelockers.com is there to report about Filelockers and its related activities to Paypal. Paypal froze accounts of premium account resellers too.

Btw, 2checkout is not providing services to any Filelockers.

@FShoppe stopfilelockers.com is there to report about Filelockers and its related activities to Paypal. Paypal froze accounts of premium account resellers too.

Btw, 2checkout is not providing services to any Filelockers.

I'm not sure I follow you. 2CO offer checkout through Paypal. This is the same as CarrotPay. CarrotPay are a payment gateway.

CarrotPay is not a file locker. So it's really not a relevant issue.

Imagine a file locker started charging for services in BitCoins. Would paypal ban the sale/purchase of bitcoins? Possibly, but that's hardly related to "stopfilelockers.com".

I didn't know people still used IE....anyways, i have been hearing a lot about carrotpay. I may check it out.

You can still use CarrotPay if you use I.E. The only thing is paypal-pass-through appears to be disabled until all the bugs are worked out so you can't make a direct Paypal payment. If you already have funds, you can still use IE. I have not tested this, but I believe you should be able to signup and top-up in IE too, so it's not completely broken.

Personally I think Passthrough is an essential feature to get people to hop onto the CarrotPay band wagon so getting it working on IE is important. Let's hope its speedy!

Its not working. Well, somebody willing to pay through carrotpay cannot use credit card/paypal to do that, these are new developments , hope u are aware of them. You can only add money using internet banking and that too in yuan.

Hi Mike,

Yes we are aware. It happened about 2 days ago. I have already spoken to them and they are getting Credit Card integration instead since Paypal appears to have changed their TOS recently to exclude stored credit services.

Hi Jesse,

I have not read that. Interesting that CarrotPay has been a target. I can imagine it must be because of FileShoppe, which I find curious.

1. They claim CarrotPay processed payments for OTHER FileLockers. I know of no file locker that uses CarrotPay. I know of one that is in development by TMCSharer but that is far from production.

2. They seem to be targeting FileShoppe for no apparent reason. In the last 14 months of opperation, FileShoppe has had ZERO notifications for copyright infringement or take down requests, largely due to the predominantly legal use of our system. These people disgust me! They seem not to care for the consequences of their actions and how they can harm users going about their legal business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back