Can you solve this puzzle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was me and i saw 2 people with white hats both keeping quite for a long time it must mean they are confused because they can not determine what color they are as they most probably see a black and a white which means there is risk they could be either one which means they do not want to take the risk to saying anything therefore i must have a different color than them which means i am wearing a black hat.

Correct? i dunno :P

@cvrle77:
Trust me it's in the correct form, and again the solution is in thinking why the 2 others didn't figured it out.
There is only one thing left to reveal, a hint : if you are trying to guess what B is seeing, you may probably think (as B) what C is seeing and why he couldn't figured it out.
It's like INCEPTION :p

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

If it was me and i saw 2 people with white hats both keeping quite for a long time it must mean they are confused because they can not determine what color they are as they most probably see a black and a white which means there is risk they could be either one which means they do not want to take the risk to saying anything therefore i must have a different color than them which means i am wearing a black hat.

Correct? i dunno :P

Very close, just take one of them at a time, don't think of them as "2" (people), take one of theme and try to find out why he couldn't solve the problem. then PASS FROM B TO C (the third person as being seen by B)

Solved:

The first and second guys who talked were actually fodder. lolz.

So here's how the last person thought about this: Let's say I have a black hat. The first person could see its a Black(third)/White(second) combo. So its 50/50 on his part whether he has a black or white hat. But he got it wrong. The second guy was like wuuuuut??? So the second guy looked at the third one and measured his chances. The guy who just left had a white hat and he's stuck wit a black hat. If he (first) got it right then it would be a black-black situation, but the first person failed so it must be a black-white situation - so he said fuck! I got it! And got freed lolz. (But this would only make sense if the person who got it right saw a black-white combo)

In this situation, the third person in the clue saw its a white white combo. So naturally the whole I have a black hat is epic fail. So he chooses the white hat option.

So the person who got it right had a white hat and that's how he thought about it. lolzzzzzzzz

@masterb56: almost, but you missed a tiny little detail, no one got it wrong, they're all fairly smart,so when they're not sure of what they got, they just keep calm and think again :p

Simple
Let Prisoner A(freed) is right about his hat color . And answer is White Hat,so all three waring White color Hat.

Let few days or year ago Prisoner B supposed his hat color is Black(Prisoner B would not free iff he give wrong answer,ie BlacK),where he actually wared White Hat.
Now question is why the hell Prisoner B supposed his hat color Black? Cause he just did the probability of black over hat,ie 2:1 (2 Black hats & 1 White Hat remained)
PS- I had already stated,all threes wared White Hat.

This probability also should to be noticed by Prisoner A,by point of view of B.

Same thing Repeated by Prisoner C to.
He guessed his Hat color Black,where he actually wared White Hat.

Then Prisoner gives the correct answer about his Hat,ie White.
Reason behind this,Two other Prisoner B & C already said about their own hat color :Black(As both are guessed Balck over White probability = 2:1),which is wrong.
*And they assumed that Balck over White probability = 2:1 only Because all threes were wared White Hats.

@sohom: it's not a matter of years, in fact it's just enough time to be sure that the other 2 are unable to solve the problem.
And again no one got it wrong because he'll get an extra prison time, if you want we can change the punishment of getting wrong to "been executed immediately" so the other 2 guys will know he got it wrong.
NO ONE GOT IT WRONG, THEY JUST COULDN'T SOLVE IT.

@masterb56: almost, but you missed a tiny little detail, no one got it wrong, they're all fairly smart,so when they're not sure of what they got, they just keep calm and think again :p

Ah ok then, just take out the "somebody got a wrong answer" then from my answer :)) The third one noticed that the first and second ones where unsure and that having a Black Hat would give at least either of the first two sure answers :))

Originally Posted by ilyacine
so the other 2 guys will know he got it wrong.

that dos not matter

If Prisoner B said in open (in present of A & C),that his assumption/answer is Black hat,that does not give any extra hints for Prisoner A & C,cause they already can see : B wared White Hat 8-)

Same thing applied for Prisoner C to.

the two prisoners wearing white, are white(skin) and the last prisoner got an idea that they're going to give you the hat depending on your skin.. LOL

that dos not matter

If Prisoner B said in open (in present of A & C),that his assumption/answer is Black hat,that does not give any extra hints for Prisoner A & C,cause they already can see : B wared White Hat 8-)

Same thing applied for Prisoner C to.

Even if no one revealed his thought, the other 2 still could have an idea of what he thinks his color is because he didn't won (no clue is a clue) .

Last edited:
i think the answer is black hat as both gave the answer wrong because they saw 1 black and 1white for them chances were 50/50 but he saw two whites

I'm going to add some hints right now, solution after 24 hours :s

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

EDIT: extra hints:

In order to solve the puzzle you need to pay close attention to every single word.
1 - Saying that the winner figured the solution out after "quite long time" is actually a factor key, it means that the two others are unable to solve it no matter how much time we give them (extremely important hint)
2 - The best & less complicated way to solve this puzzle is assuming that you are the winner and think how can you actually know for sure your color, this is done by trying to find out why the 2 other prisoners couldn't get the answer, the best way to do that is to think as the winner will, ie trying to think what the 2 others are thinking, and you already now that they are incapable of finding out their own colors.
3 - It's very important to know that if the winner is seeing other than 2 whites, he will never be able to win (except if he sees 2 blacks which is not a puzzle).
4 - Again it's not a probability puzzle, you can assume whatever you want, but don't start with probability of 1/3 or 1/2 ...etc, it will never work.
5- If you're enable to find the solution you could assume a wrong solution, if you can prove it to be wrong then the opposite is the right solution i.e : the winner could only have a white or a black hat, if you can prove he's not wearing a black one, then a sure thing is he's wearing a white one ! and vis versa.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
So, the first man didnt know what hat color he had on, which means he did not see 2 black hats otherwise he would have a white for sure.

The second man knew that the first man did not see 2 black hats in front of him, so he knew that the first man must have seen either 2 white hats or a white and a black hat, the man in the middle knew that if he see a black hat in front of him he than he MUST have a white hat on, but since he didnt know what hat he had on, it means he did not see a black hat in front of him, analyzing this, the last man knew he had a white hat on.

Last edited:
Wow, these hat puzzles were from the 1960's :O
we were taught how to solve these induction puzzles using Hamming Codes as part of a course including lost data bits in transmission years ago (seem to recall a 10 "hat" variation being in an exam paper).....

Think wide guys - It's easier than you think (y)

The second man knew that the first man did not see 2 black hats in front of him, so he knew that the first man must have seen either 2 white hats or a white and a black hat, the man in the middle knew that if he see a black hat in front of him he than he MUST have a white hat on, but since he didnt know what hat he had on, it means he did not see a black hat in front of him, analyzing this, the last man knew he had a white hat on.
Sounds like summarized solution <_<
Although you had almost everything right, you didn't explain why "the man in the middle knew that if he see a black hat in front of him he than he MUST have a white hat on"

We have three guys, me, john and jack.
I know, John and jack are wearing white hats.
So, i have either a black or a white hat.
Same goes for jack and john, they both see only 2 guys with white hats.
If i'd see 2 black hats, i'd knew that i have a white one.
in all other cases, it is unclear if i have a white or a black one.

Jack looks at the hats. He doesn't see 2 black hats, so he has no solution.
John looks at the hats, he knows, he'd either see 2 white or 1 black and 1 white hat. (The "no-solution" cases, since jack didn't have a solution)
If he'd see a black hat on me, john would know that he has a white hat on (cus if i had a black hat on me, and john too, jack would have known that he cannot have a black hat)
Since he's looking at 2 white hats, he also has no solution.
So i know, i don't have a black hat on, since a black hat on me, would have meant, that john would have a solution.

So, after a time I'm sure that Jack and John aren't able to figure out what kind of hat they have, that means for me, i have a white hat on.
i take my educated guess and get free. :)

Sounds like summarized solution <_<
Although you had almost everything right, you didn't explain why "the man in the middle knew that if he see a black hat in front of him he than he MUST have a white hat on"

ofcourse i did:

since the first man didnt know what color hat he had on, the man in the middle knew that he didnt see 2 black hats (since there are only 2 black hats, if the first man saw 2 black hat then he would have known he had a white hat) so the the man in the middle knew the first man saw either 2 white hats, or 1 black and 1 white hat. With this the man in the middle knew that there could ONLY be ONE black hat or 2 white hats. So if the man in the middle saw a black hat in front of him then he would have to have a white hat! but since he didnt know what hat color hat he had on, it means he did NOT see a black hat in front of him, he must have seen a WHITE HAT.

i cant explain it more then that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back