For SEO is it best to use www. or not?

• YES! Use www.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • NO!. Don't use www.

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated by hyperz, i want proper reasons, not just "use www" or "don't use it!"....

It has been playing on my mind for a while.

it doesnt matter dude...
for appearance only if you ask me... do give your users consistancy throughout your pages.
Google has a option of displaying URL's with www. or without..

The thing is though i believbe it does make a difference and i really do want to know.... most people i have asked that i believe are4 experienced have said to use www. but none of them have been able to give solid evidence of claims or even claims... i really wanna know some facts.

the fact is that it doesnt matter, if you use www. then make sure all inbound links to you have www.
if you dont, vise-versa.

Well i have changed it to www. and in two days i seem to be getting far more traffic, now each time i look there is around 15 online, before it was around 5-10... i have no idea if changing my links to www. was the cause of this though....

But yeah i think i will force it to www. withg .htaccess now... I am still interested in more opinions if anyone has info that has not already been posted.

use 1 or the other. im using ddlmafia.net not www.ddlmafia.net and redirecting www.ddlmafia.net to ddlmafia.net after seeing this thread i realized i should only use one of the above. due to dupe links which is bad for SEO. ( i did some research and since it doesnt matter, www. takes longer to type then no www.

It doesn't matter if you use www or not.

www is a subdomain, no-www is your domain.

Its like comparing ddl.someforum.com to someforum.com. They are quite different.
In google's eyes and probably every other search engine, they're different and www is a sub-domain.

Really, www is outdated but people tend to think it looks nice (although logically, its easier to type the name without it).

I have just changed my mind about forcing it to www. via htacces for one simple reason... If your running a ddl site and you are listed on autosubmitters, unless you are listed with www. when forcing it on your site the submissions will fail. Bad idea for me now... reverting back to how i had it before.

Im not sure JmZ, i just noticed my submission ground to a hault when i done the 301 redirect. I didn't actually test with yours but with tastro's.

As i am listed on a few though i had to change it back... I also don't think my traffic increase was anything to do with the www. for a day or two, my indexed links have just increased for the main domain is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back