Status
Not open for further replies.

Catz

Hello WJ,

Here is my second thread with some ideas i have to improve WJunction and make it a better place.

* Reputation Mod:

I'd like to suggest installing or creating a plugin for the forum which allows people to give feedback about other users like iTrader.

This modification will give users the option of giving feedback about other users when they misbehave or did something outstanding.

I do think this option should be thought over carefully so that it doesn't get abused and it should be moderated. The last thing we want is that people start giving all their friends +1 feedback for nothing. Or the other way around.

Perhaps think about giving users 1 point (which they can give out to others) for every 25 posts they make. This way the points are actually worth something and the chance of abuse is less.

* Thank you Mod:

This modification might sound very familiar to many WJ users but i'd like to see it with a twist.

People should be able to see how many times a post was thanked inside a topic but this should not be added to people's user stats (the part where you can see how many posts someone has).

I think this will help people out to see which posts are valuable but won't give people a higher status because of how many (or how little) times they have been thanked.

People are all equal on WJ (until proven differently) and we already have certain user ranks to divide people from each other.

* Remove post count:

This part might be a little extreme to some but in my experience with other forums this actually helps out a great deal when it comes to the thought that every user is equal.

Why should it matter how many posts you have? Even a 1 post person can make smart and interesting posts.

For me post count only grows e-penisses and nothing else.

This is it for today. I have briefly explained some things i'd like to see changed on WJ and i hope to receive some feedback from the Katz staff.

Greetings,

Katz

31 comments
Remove post count:

i like that.. that will stop a lot o people making stupid replies just to increase post count..

Indeed and basicly you would only be removing the post count from the public area, in the back it would still be there for katz staff to see etc..

This will definitely be abused, even if it was set up in the way you have described.

With the 25 posts for 1 point to hand out? I doubt it. The specific details would have to be worked out but i think it's a great idea.

Good idea. It should work just fine if it doesn't get added to the stats under your avatar.

How about the post count?

people bitch about trader score and shit.
way more hassle

People bitch about anything. It might increase the workflow for the staff the first few weeks but after that i think it'll soon become normal again.

The reputation and thank you mod will get whored, ull be seeing people getting thanked just by posting 'lol wtf' in a thread.

Removing post count sounds alright to me as I don't care about it :).

I agree with each suggestion. Great ideas, hopefully an Administrator will check this thread and implement some of your ideas. All though for the iTrader mod, it has been suggested over and over. I dont see how it will be abused, but I can tell you that the admins will just tell you that its been said before. Thanks mod should be added, theres alot of useful people who make alot of useful posts. As for not showing the stats in the postbit I think the opposite, show it in the postbit else whats the point? Removing post count might be a good idea, people use it to look like theyre active or gain trust and post count simply isnt meant for that. We also should delete like all members from after October 2009 imo but thats way too extreme for you guys. :))

-d0tCOM

i agree the 'post_thanks" mod would just get abused like RT said.. people would play with it like a new toy is all that would happen there

the post count thing i agree with though

^ agreed Narc.. but the post thanks button isnt needed for tht,and would most def be abused here,i think someone actually typing "thanks" is better myself anyway

I like the way that your giving suggestions but I'm afraid I disagree with them all.

Reputation Mod - It's too easy to abuse it. If your worried about trusting someone then ask for references. I've never ever done a transaction here on WJ so I'd have a zero Rep while I'm sure other scammers would have high reps.

Thank you Mod - again easily abused and people will thank for the most stupid things.

Remove post count - I always look at post count if I don't know the person when answering questions. If it's 10-30 posts I assume their a noob and write a more detailed reply and explination to the problem their having. If they've a high post count their generally more intelligent and you can give the general idea of a solution. It's also a huge indication of trust as AK said and if they'll just disappear and scam someone.

SEO On your other post - We've enough noobs and scammers here without attracting more through better SEO. With lots of people wanting to make the forum Invite Only this goes totally against that. Also for the work involved it's not worth it.

Keep the ideas coming though.

We have been discussing the iTrader modification, just because it's taking a while for the final decision doesn't mean we ignored it.

Here is the problem with iTrader, we want the seller/buyer feedback to be genuine, because this can be abused a lot. As we all know there are forums out there dedicated to sell and distribute carded, phished and/or stolen products. What if a group of those people registered here and all vouched for each other?

Example:
A new member wants to buy a domain. He checks the seller's profile for iTrader comments and feedback and finds it all positive, then the member decides to go with the deal and buy the domain, but later (X days, X months...) the domain gets snatched from him by the domain registrar because when they checked the records they found the domain was originally bought with a stolen credit card. (Happened to a friend of mine)

If we implement such feature, that means in a way we (WJunction) are held liable, because members are supposed to count on the features we provide, so you can see the dilemma here. Nevertheless we are considering to add that modification in near/far future.

As for the "Thanks" modification, I don't see any real use for it, if you want to thank someone just go ahead and reply to his/her thread. I'd much rather have the database be filled with genuine replies than automated ones.

Also it'll create unnecessary competition, like for some reason the person with most "Thanks" is a better person with fewer.

Currently we are letting users use their judgment when buying/selling instead of counting on stats that can be easily abused or faked. We also moderate and control any outbursts easily and provided many information and advice on how to avoid scammers.

A scammer is easier to spot now, but with iTrader some scammers will get away with it, just for the fact they were able to fake their stats.

I am not rejecting your suggestions, as I said we're seriously considering iTrader, but the priorities here are users and WJunction, if there is the slightest chance any or both will be harmed, then the implementation will definitely be delayed.

I also would like to say when you make a suggestion, go with something "you can't live without", by that I mean, suggest a useful feature, think what will happen without and with it, if the difference is none or not so much then the suggestion should be under a "luxury" feature and not a "must".

Dotcom, to be honest I'm sick of your comments about the admins, if you don't like it here, logout and don't come back.

El_jentel1, Thank you for your response!

I would say that you have some legit points about my suggestions.

The only thing i disagree is the post count thing. On other forums where post counts are not showed people tend to grow up and actually try to make posts that matter instead of just having a laugh and not contributing anything what so ever.

I will try to think of something that is basicly "essential" to WJ and post this as soon as i can come up with something.

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments.

I wouldn't get rid of post counts mainly because it helps distinguish who are the more dedicated members who know what they're doing. It can go both ways in my opinion. I think it would just make it harder to see who is actually trusted. Obviously a person's character does not depend on their post count but it is a small but helpful factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back