WJunction Mobile Design Ideas (Got talent?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLight

I recently threw around the idea of a mobile skin for WJunction. I do intend to put this into practice and with a little luck hopefully have something in place some time within the next month. This is exciting, for a few reasons... I like checking WJunction when I am out and about, and this will make it so much easier.

The whole idea is to optimize for medium to large size phones so that no zooming is required yet all critical information is left in tact for an enjoyable browsing experience. I've been fooling around myself trying to come up with some things which may work. I've decided to use the iPhone as the "GUI template" but you should bear in mind that I intend for the final theme to be fully liquid which should work well on most modern mobile devices.

My question to you is: Do you have any ideas or inspirations? Do you want to have a go at mocking one up? Here's mine so far:

205f3gg.png

Important things to bear in mind when attempting to create a WJ mobile skin:

• Minimal images, this doesn't mean no images, but certainly less than the full version. If you're focusing on the show thread page have a version with and without an avatar for instance.
  • Design must be able to be liquid, as it's meant to be suited for multiple devices.
  • Color scheme must be the same as our current one.
  • There must be a familiar feeling to the design so that WJ members feel at home.
If we receive multiple entries we may go to a poll to see which users prefer the most. This way we're all able to give input as to what should exist on the mobile pages and what shouldn't.

If there's little or no feedback or user creations, that's fine. Unfortunately at this stage I don't really have a prize I can offer, besides a "Inspired by:" in the footer or something. If there's nothing I can use, I'll simply carry on until I've finished the major pages and move forward to the next stage. The main pages which will require the most focus are:

• Index
  • Forum view
  • Thread view
  • Profile view
  • Search page
  • Posting page
  • etc...

How to create a mock up:

Use this image as a template in your favorite editor such as Photoshop, etc: http://i51.tinypic.com/10x9ehl.jpg

Places I used for inspiration:

http://community.invisionpower.com/ (Deftault IPB mobile skin)

43 comments
This will be awesome. If for some reason the chat is on the main page, just make sure the chat ban works for mobile too. I have a perm ban requested because I don't like the chat box.

Sponge Bob: The theme is to be suited for all mobile devices.

JJJ: No, it won't be on the main page. Another page, rather.

How about implementing that new theme from way back?
Then you could create a mobile version of it and save yourself from doing it twice.

Ill have a talk with Baraka, He designed one for me way back and it ran quite well on Android, iPhone & Blackberry

Places I used for inspiration:

http://community.invisionpower.com/ (Deftault IPB mobile skin)

Why not just switch to IPB completely rather than continuing to rip and copy ideas from it. They are stopping support for this version of vBulletin anyway and version 4 is a waste of time. I'm not sure if your aware but one of the staff members (and I'm pretty sure it was elj for reasons I won't go into) had an IPB Version of WJunction on another domain. It worked great, looked cool, had loads of great features and IPB comes with a great mobile skin already so only a small bit of colour change would be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back