Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

I was given a laptop with the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

I popped in Windows XP Sp2 (Which i downloaded from msdn) and tried to boot into f12 but i keep getting the same error.

Any idea how this occurred to begin with and/or how i can fix this. :|

(The sooner the reply the better) :)

Thanks In Advance RR ;)
<3​

35 comments
If the cd has any scratches the install tends to get corrupted . Delete the partition where you have the Windows installed and do a fresh installation.

ok i think you guys mis understood me for a sec,

• I turned on the pc for the first time,
  • I seen the error , read it of course,
  • seen that it said the file is corrupted and needed to be repaired or needed a fresh installation of windows,
  • re-booted the laptop,
  • hit f12 or waited for "press any button to continue" ( obvious steps of getting towards the setup page),
  • but instead i got the error once a gain :|

Download XP live disc, copy system file and system text doc from another comp and put on a stick, boot to the disc, replace file from usb stick, and restart, removing live disc, it should work then.

Hard drive sounds currupt

how new is the laptop (if new check for sata drivers)
if old (try another hard drive!)

If that dont work get a bootable distro of linux boot it up go into a partition manager and scan the hdd the format it as NTFS.. restart and then install fresh

try with other windows xp CD

as per you said you not getting "press any button to continue".
means CD is currupted.

So use New CD :D

try with other windows xp CD

as per you said you not getting "press any button to continue".
means CD is currupted.

So use New CD :D

no no m8 lol , i said i hit press any button to continue and instead of windows loading the installation files i get the error popping up after a few seconds once again :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back