Why was MegaUpload really shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outbreak

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

12 comments
They didn't go to private meetings and do funny handshakes while getting pissed :D

no, go and read the full legal document.

my dick is waiting for you to be sucked,there are millions of topic out there,don't you care to use the search button:facepalm:

lol, in the end, nothing about piracy, it's all about business competition

i'm sure artists will make more profit by doing something like file sharing rather than with their producers

I know there are a lot of topics about MU, but I haven't seen this in any of them.

Yes, it is all about the business competition.
MU has been in the business for years, why haven't they been shut down earlier?

@ cyano - If you are going to offend someone, at least try to do it properly.

@cyano Didn't Got Your Statement, Your Dick...Anyway...No wonder why everyday peoples getting banned from wj...

@outbreak Thank You Very Much For The Info, So Theres No Piracy In It..FTW

The same thing that happened with MU song.
Even though UMG doesn't have any rights they took it down because they can, and because some artists are ok with piracy.

Outbreak, Interesting theory, thanks for sharing, haters gonna hate.

I understood that Google Music would work much in the same way described in your post, however, Google.Music already has the major record companies involved, so maybe they already changed the original idea... We are yet to find out...

my dick is waiting for you to be sucked,there are millions of topic out there,don't you care to use the search button:facepalm:
English is clearly not your first language, at least I hope it is not. If English is your native tongue I have lost all hope in the west. Now back on topic there are many posts, threads, news articles, conspiracy theories on the subject. Ranging from megaupload was a sacrificial lamb to placate hollywood over the lose of SOPA and PIPA. To megaupload was encroaching on Hollywoods monopoly , to the fact that Kim Dotcom could not resist pissing off the content mafia with his extravagant lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back