Where should i use noindex and Nofollow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasavsisro

hi friends i want know that Where should i use noindex and Nofollow
i know noindex use prevent google to index and nofollow to Don't follow that link =)

But i saw in many SEO plugins that tells it will automatic add NOINDEX and NOFOLLOW any why want to use these meta if he want to index his site:facepalm:

So Can Any Body Explain why and where to use boths ?:(

7 comments
use noindex for pages, author archives etc to avoid duplicate posts being indexed in google and other search engines

use nofollow to external links posted on your blog...
for example - you should use nofollow when you are posting download links (i assume this is for a warez site), images, nfos etc...

blank target is used when you want the link to open in a new tab/window of a browser when it is clicked...

nofollow is used when you dont want the spiders/crawlers/bots to go to an external link which is posted on your site.

i would usually use this when i would post a download link on my site:
Code:
<a [COLOR=Red]rel="nofollow"[/COLOR] href="http://www.filesonic.com/file/filesonicsucks" [COLOR=Red]target="_blank"[/COLOR]>http://www.filesonic.com/file/filesonicsucks</a>

by adding both target blank and nofollow you can ensure that people will stay on your page even after they click on download link (as download will open in a new tab/window) and spiders/crawlers/bots will most probably crawl more of your site's content :)

This isn't the best advice. You shouldn't use nofollow or no index to remove duplicate posts. You should use <link href="http://example.com/somthing.php" rel="canonical" />
If it's a blog your on about most of the SEO plugin blogs add the canonical link to the header for you.

Otherwise pretty much everything in the replies is correct. One thing though is the W3C HTML standards prefer you to use javascript to open a link in an external window rather than target="_blank" but I wouldn't worry about that and just use the advice already given by Rox.

extremely plyourc

nope.. rel canonical should be used in HTML code of a page that is a duplicate version of some other page. but I don't think that's crucial...

regarding noindex and nofollow - here's the logic:

NOINDEX:
since the Panda update it's really important that all pages of your site have quality unique content... because if 10% of your pages really suck (poor content or lack of it) it can affect the performance of the other 90% of your site.

So that's why you wanna "noindex" all poor pages, so that Google could see only those 90% of great pages.

NOFOLLOW:
you can be banned for selling links, or linking to spammy sites.
So when you sell a link you should make it nofollow, as it's against google TOS to sell links that pass pagerank...
or whenever you want to link to some fishy site, put a nofollow attribute, so that google knew you're not supporting this fishy site.

that's about it.. hope it helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back