Where do you register domains and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meuls

Where do you register domains and why? I chose the registrar only for the convenience of the panel and convenient ways to replenish the balance. It is interesting to know how you are.

15 comments
I used to deal with enom. Not the cheapest, considering that you have to pay for ID protection. They have tons of features in all kinds of areas though and their staff are professionals. Relatively recently, Tucows Inc. made a change, so all privately held domains were transfered to Hover. So I am now with them. They seem just as fine as enom, although I haven't needed their support so far.

I also have a few domains through Namecheap, mainly because the original domain/site owner settled with them. Just carrying on from where he left it.

As someone who has over 600 domains in my portfolio (since domaining is my hobby), I do have different needs on how do I purchase, or renew domains:

Initial domain purchase (registration):
- As I told you, the number of domains in my portfolio is huge, so fixing to one registrar is not an option for me, simply because one registrar doesn't have the cheapest prices for all tlds. That being said, I am using TLD-prices.com to find the cheapest registrar for selected TLD, with privacy protection included, and initially register the domain there.

Pre-expiration (renewal/transfer):
- Well, managing domains on multiple registrars is not something I would recommend to you. When expiration notice comes, there are quite emails coming your way. Since I've set the specific domain for those renewals, each registrar sends me renewal notices on registrarname@domain.email, from which, email is forwarded to my GSuite Gmail and sorted out inside. From there, I find the TLD which I need to renew on tld-prices again, and compare it to several registrars: Dynadot, Sav.com, Epik.com, and Namecheap.com. The one that has the cheapest price for transfer and further renewals is my next choice for that domain.

Once the transfer is done, a domain is sitting on that registrar until the next cleanup phase (twice a year). At that time of the year, I review all my domains, see if there is any incoming traffic to that domain, and/or revenue off of it, and if there's a possibility to flip it. If not, the domain is set to manual renewal and dropped after the expiration date. Otherwise, auto-renewal is set and the domain is being renewed automatically.

So my suggest is: Dynadot, Namecheap, Epik and Sav.

I used to register domain names at namecheap because they were absolutely cheap. Sometimes you can even register a top level domain name for just about 0.88 cents, but normally domain name registrations for example the .com costs, $9 to register for 1 year. However I found a new domain name registrar that lets you register a .com domain name for just $5. It's awesome. The best part is, they allow all types of payment methods.

This is certainly correct, but not entirely. It is important for me that the registrar provides complete information. For example, the registrar often hides the real cost of renewing a domain. And then a year later, you end up paying 10 times more. The renewal is much more expensive than registering a domain. And the registrar can block a domain on a complaint immediately and without epilation. I think it's wrong. I chose Pananames registrar. There were no such problems here. I have been using it for at least three years.

The reasoning behind why i host at godaddy is it is the most popular platform in the world. Domains at godaddy are displayed over more sites and i am a domainerreseller com

I would never put my domains with a registrar that are so easy to "hack" by using reverse social engineering on employees. So, although they have the biggest domain quantity, they'll never be my choice.

I use TLD-List.com to find cheapest + availability (normally Porkbun) where I have over 30 domains registered. Porkbun is my go to domain service.

namecheap is a good choice, it is clear, cheap, have a lot of domains extensions, you connect the dns to cloudflare and you have also the cdn and security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back