What every blogger should insist upon when guest posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minty

When you do a guest posts for blogs, you’re doing them a far greater service than they’re doing you. You should be appreciative for the opportunity, certainly, but really, who’s getting the better deal? I think the answer should be obvious.
Think about it: You’re giving them free content for the exchange of some exposure (often very little). If your guest post does well on StumleUpon or on Digg, or attracts large numbers of comments, it is guaranteed to be a huge boon for the blog publishing it. You, on the other hand, may only receive a tiny number of subscribers and a marginal number of click-troughs. That’s just the way it works.
Further, some blogs would crumble if they weren’t constantly fed a steady diet of guest posts. Their posting frequency would dip to levels so low — their reputation would be on the line.
What am I getting at with all this you may be wondering?
Simple: be insistent about certain things when submitting a guest post. It’s your writing. You put lots of time and effort into it, right? You deserve to have your hard work pay off as much as possible.
[h=3]What You Should Insist Upon Because You Love Yourself[/h]When submitting a guest post, be sure to request having your byline placed at the end of the post. I once did a guest post for a blog and guess what… when it was finally put up, I discovered the byline at the top of the post and nothing to be found at the end where it’s most critical. What gives, my man?
Something else you should be highly cognizant of is that it will unquestionably work in your favor if you write your own byline. The byline is extremely important because the information it includes will have a huge impact on how many people decide it’s worth clicking over to your blog. That’s the primary reason you decided to guest post in the first place, isn’t it? The byline gives a short description of what your blog has to offer, who better to write it than yourself?
The importance of a byline is similar to the importance of a headline; the more catchy and accurate it is, the more interest it has the potential to create.
Here’s a good example of a byline that puts it all together:
Bamboo Forest writes for Pun Intended, a blog that blends humor with inspiration. To ensure you never miss a good hearty laugh or a good dose of inspiration, subscribe here.
That’s a lot more interesting, then, let’s say — “You can read more from Bamboo Forest at Pun Intended.
The above makes you want to click over about as much as a bushel of freshly steamed brussels sprouts makes you want to eat. Am I right?
James Chartrand of Men with Pens recommends having a link to your RSS feed in the byline; I think that’s a splendid idea. It gives people a subtle reminder that, “Hey, you may want to subscribe to this shizle-dip.”
Also, if a blog has a habit of informing its readers with tiny print that requires a high powered microscope to decipher it’s a guest post — it would be wise to withhold submitting to that blog. If none of the readers are going to recognize your published post is a guest post, it won’t do you a whole lot of good.
[h=3]Protect Your Writing[/h]I dislike having my writing in a guest post altered without being made aware of it prior to publishing. I’ve got news — whatever’s posted is going to have my name on it forever. Therefore, if any blog reserves the right to edit where they see fit without first letting me know, I reserve the right to never submit to them.
I’m not against having my work edited. Nor am I against being told to go back and revise — far from it. I just wouldn’t appreciate having something altered and then published without being made aware of it and agreeing to it first. I think that’s a pretty reasonable stance.
Here’s what William Zinsser, the author of On Writing Well has to say about protecting his work:
“I’ve always felt that my “style”—the careful projection onto paper of who I think I am—is my main marketable asset, the one possession that might set me apart from other writers. Therefore I’ve never wanted anyone to tinker with it, and after I submit an article I protect it fiercely.” [Bold Emphasis Mine]
I love guest posting. It’s a great way to help your blog grow and improve your writing. It’s even been known to put hair on your chest, which is especially important for me. But let’s be realistic about who’s getting the greatest returns with a guest post. It’s not the guest poster; it’s the blog receiving the free content a writer spent his or her valuable time putting together. And, it is free regardless of the benefits.
Considering who’s getting the bulk of the reward for using our guest posts, I think we bloggers should ensure certain demands be met before our hard work gets published.

View on Glittered Tech

3 comments
This is a pretty informative post indeed. Thanks for posting.

Just a little question - how do you chose blogs on which to make your guest posts? Do you just chose high pr blogs? Popular blogs? Blogs that already had guest posts published and received positive feedback from the publishers?

Just a little question - how do you chose blogs on which to make your guest posts? Do you just chose high pr blogs? Popular blogs? Blogs that already had guest posts published and received positive feedback from the publishers?

No I would recommend using a blog that has topics about something you can relate to and posting there

No I would recommend using a blog that has topics about something you can relate to and posting there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back