Web-Hosters hosting clients with VPS's [Allow / Dis-Allow?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

Hello People of Wjunction,

I just wanted to bring up some issues that I have found within the Hosting section , One of them is "Web-Hosters" hosting their clients on OTHER hosts VPS's.

Personally I don't think it should be allowed these are just fly-by-night hosters that cant afford a dedicated server / collocation. Now , I'm not going to name ; names but I don't think that the clients are paying for what they deserve for example I'm going to use KnownSRV , one of their VPS's costs $20 minimum. If someone buys that and sells it as "Webhosting" on Wjunction they could make 100 - 200 dollar pure profit depending on how good the VPS is secured and optimized.

So my question to you all should this be allowed or should we ban hosting companies that use VPS's from Wjunction ?

This would require Mods working hard but hey it would benefit the community.

Last edited:
16 comments
Jesse , I understand it would require mods to work a little harder but its not that hard to find out if the "Host" is using a VPS. :WHOIS:

Nothing wrong with starting out with a VPS or reseller hosting if you can pull off the transition when you grow. Same can be said for a dedicated server. Can get those pretty cheap. Most here that start with a dedicated server wont be around 3 months from now.

Don't you think the clients should have at least their own server ( shared with other clients ) to rely on ?

With a VPS your Kernel is shared ( same with Reseller ) which security issues could arise.

hey Dom why ur so much worried abt this ?

If peoples buy shared hosting, they get shared hosting only. It does not matter whether it is hosted on vps or dedi.

All shared users must take regular backups themself, if they want to continue in long term.

Well if we want to get into what I think, I feel we should give the boot to all but one or two web hosts here. I don't think any of them know what the hell they are doing. But WJ has this everyone gets a chance view on things.

But, a small web host could be run just fine on a VPS if that's what your asking me.

To be quit honest, i personally feel Dom is correct in what he says, But there again if you look for cheap cheap is what you find, hosts hosting shared services on a VPS.

Wait , Let me put you in a Situation :

Say if you bought hosting from a member here , You found out that he was running a VPS for shared hosting. You ignored it , then the server got hacked. BUT it could of been avoided if the hoster used a dedicated server with patches ( which he knew about ) but was too cheap to do so ?

Would you be pissed or just say " why ur so much worried abt this ? "

Last edited:
Wait , Let me put you in a Situation :

Say if you bought hosting from a member here , You found out that he was running a VPS for shared hosting. You ignored it , then the server got hacked. BUT it could of been avoided if the hoster used a dedicated server with patches ( that he knew about ) but was too cheap to do so ?

Would you be pissed or just say " why ur so much worried abt this ? "

Its my own fault. I should have researched the host I was going with. Hopefully I had backups in this scenario.

It's a good idea, yes, but I personally want no part of it. The other mods can do it if they'd like, or volunteers....but not me.

But if the company used a dedicated server with those patches toward the Kernel , your site still would be up. I'm just pointing out that VPS owners shouldn't be allowed host large masses of websites / clients as its a shared Kernel.

I'm going to see what everyone else pans out about this issue / topic.

You keep referring to them them as company. Maybe two or three hosts (tops) here are a company.

In some cases a dedicated server might help. Have you not seen some of these web hosts asking in chat how to setup WHMCS or install cPanel? Do you think they will have a secured dedicated server?

@Dom,

You will always get what you paid for. not every one can afford 10$ monthly shared plans. thats why peoples look for cheap 2.99$ plans.

nothing is 100% safe. If look into past, vps nodes got compromised, clients on dedis lost data because of disk failure.

I think if WJ impose these kind of restrictions, then other ideas to implement should be

in 2012
========

dedicated server offers must be only from those who own DC and have own ASN.

RDA providers, must verify Windows license + CALs per server ( no terminal server patch allowed)

VPS providers must have Raid10.

cool right :)

@ Jesse

Ok , If so then why are we allowing these people to sell services if they can't setup cPanel. It doesn't take Bill Gates himself to see that they are not able to run a hosting service.

I'm just expressing what I feel you guys should investigate.

@vgnheart

Yes I know that nothing is 100% safe , but don't you think you'd rather be hosted on a dedicated server then a VPS ?

@ Jesse

Ok , If so then why are we allowing these people to sell services if they can't setup cPanel. It doesn't take Bill Gates himself to see that they are not able to run a hosting service.

They could have others helping. It all goes back to my first post:

"Potential clients should do their own research before buying hosting."

I've never been screwed with hosting for that very reason and I've been using hosting since the late 90's.

Edit: Closed by request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back