Vetting out CDNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LitZ

Hi,

I have been debating about signing up for a CDN to help handle the traffic on my site.

I am looking for you for suggestions on a service. I tried Cloudfront; however there seemed to be issued with their deployment on my site so I canceled the order. One important aspect is it has to support SSL.

Been reading some good stuff about MAXCDN; however, I hear they have some communication issues.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

LitZ

8 comments
MaxCDN is good.

If you want better speed than MaxCDN then go with CDN77.com or CloudCache.com (they even got a wordpress plugin)

Good luck and share your experience :D

While I agree that setting up CloudFront for the first time can be a hassle, but it's absolutely smooth. Combined with S3, and their free usage tiers, you can get a very reliable CDN service that supports SSL for a very cheap PAYG payment model.

MaxCDN and the likes charge you an upfront amount and assign you a block of bandwidth. While this is good if you expect to serve that much traffic via the CDN (which I believe you won't, since it'll be JS/image files mostly?), it's often a waste of money for no reason whatsoever.

Cloudfront also supports SSL just fine.

Here's my charges and usage report for November on Cloudfront:
Amazon_Web_Services.png

Including the S3 charges (I store the image/JS on S3) it's a total of $9.45 for a pretty busy month. Millions of HTTPS requests yet I only get charged ~$10 per month as opposed to paying $40 per month with MaxCDN with (possibly) no support for HTTPS, unless paid more for.

I was previously with GoGrid (EdgeCast) on their PAYG model. It was great, but they had no support for HTTPs. That was an addon option for an extra $200/month; crazy, I tell you.

CDN77 borked my top Admin panel.. put it in plaintext at the bottom of the page. CDN77 had amazing timing for support but wanted to disable and reconfigure bunch of plugins.

I also found their documentation outdated.

@LifeTalk

Thanks for the encouragement to try cloudfront and S3 again!

LitZ

Last edited:
Upon further review. I have decided to go with CDN77. Shortly after I started their trial their usual sales person reached out and wanted to sell the features more to me; however, this time it was different. It was technical support 'sales'.

I am proudly using CDN77.

LitZ

The best CDN I've ever had, and I'm still with them is KeyCDN
You only pay for what you use. You don't buy a monthly subscription and lose what you didn't use that month.
You buy "Credits" which are used for the traffic you REALLY use. At the time of this posting, their rate is $0.04/GB
That is HALF the price of MaxCDN's smallest package. They give 100GB at $9 a month, which is $0.09/GB and you HAVE to repay them every month.

KeyCDN credits expire 12 months of purchase.
Minimum purchase of credits is $25

You really can't go wrong with them :)
I've enjoyed their service, if you need more "Zones" you just send a ticket and they give you more :) Great service!
With this link you get $5 in credit (125GB of Traffic) for FREE

Click Here <--- $5 (125GB) Credit Free!

Oh did I mention they give Shared SSL Free on all your zones you want? :dan: It's great with Cloudflare's free flexible ssl too! Have a completely SSL website!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back