Very slow database restore using mysqldumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnyou

As you can see in the picture below, my 6 mb compressed database took 185 minutes and still going on to restore. Is it normal?

zbORT.png

12 comments
if you have access to SSH then use this command in putty

mysqldump --opt -u username -p databasename > {path}/backupfile.sql

and if you don't have that then use the script BIGDUMP.. that is great.. mysqldumper sucks..

Bigdump restores 1GB databases in 2-3 minutes...

@ chems
Hmm its too slow to be okay. Anyways good to hear that I am not alone. I usually don't restore much as I avoid moving from host to host and touching my databases.

@ Jason
I'll try that in future. Thanks for that.

It is your host. I have the same size database on 2 seperate servers and use mysqldumper to restore both. One takes 3 minutes and the other has to continually timeout and restart so it takes forever.

If the host wasn't cheap I would move. Even using mysql ommands to import and export take forever from the ssh command line and often timeout.

It is your host. I have the same size database on 2 seperate servers and use mysqldumper to restore both. One takes 3 minutes and the other has to continually timeout and restart so it takes forever.

If the host wasn't cheap I would move. Even using mysql ommands to import and export take forever from the ssh command line and often timeout.

I am on the unmanaged VPS server. I tested my hard disk speed and I am getting more than 100MB per sec. It may be possible due to the fact that I am using inferior suphp as my php handler. I have no problem using mod_php but when ever i switched to it than during each wordpress plugin install/upgrade, it asks me for the server's FTP details. Why it asks me server's ftp details in mod_php but not in suphp?
And according to you which is better? Mod_PHP or suPHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back