Using SSD drives does it really improves Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 comments
Well, I am web host; and my company really do use SSD drives for clients that require SSD ... We provide SSDs withup to 10,000 IOPS and thus up to 10 times faster data access than a traditional mechanical hard drive. SSDs are far more reliable, have greater endurance and perform better. SSDs are more resilient than hard drives.

Last edited:
no it doesnt ..you don't need a SSD on a VPS because all are overfilled and it won't do much..sometimes they even write its a ssd and fake the HW info and just use cached :D

1 - SSD's are definitely better than HDD's

2 - On VPS, using a SSD won't do much difference, instead focus on more RAM when it comes to VPS.

3 - SSD will do wonders if your encoding with SSD drives installed!

Hope it works!

2 - On VPS, using a SSD won't do much difference, instead focus on more RAM when it comes to VPS.

Hope it works!

There will be HUGE improve when you use SSD VPS, specially when you are hosting databases! You can not ignore the IOP difference between normal and SSD drives.

SSD

Hi,
A Solid state drive will improve loading times above anything else. It is "flash" memory, and accesses information much faster as there are no moving parts such as the drive head that reads a disk.

As for other performance, you should not see a significant impact (graphic processing, for example.)

Dude I just built a computer and installed Windows on a Samsung 850 Pro. My startup time went from 2 minutes to less than 15 seconds

Hi,

If you're using a VPS or dedicated server with the operating system Linux you do not need SSD because they possess cached memory. If you're using Windows Server it is better that you have SSD HD.

We are a VPS provider and we currently use 50 000 IOPS SSDs which are basically supercharging our nodes. We previously used HDDs but load was jumping to 10+ on full capacity, while now load never goes higher than 2 and overall VPS are running faster than HDD dedicated servers.

If it's a VPS, I would definitely recommend SSDs. But if it's a web hosting account, even HDDs with proper caching can provide similar performance.

ssd always improve disk related performance, but if your host provider CPU is exhausted and their disk not exhausted, upgrading disk and not cpu may not improve performance..

1. Fast Net, Taking hugh process is all possible when you got more than enough RAM and the CPU with the SSD. Because RAM and CPUs are taking all the load end of the day.
2. SSD process fast so he put load on RAM and CPUs + Your Site Load on CPU = Disaster. In the other hand with HDD is 4-5 mints slow from SSD so it use less RAM or CPU.
3. 120GB SSD cost like 160$. In other hand you get 4TB HDD at the same price. So if you need storage you need HDD.
4. Converting big media files or hugh Mp3 process. SSD is good if you can afford 2x512GB SSD.
5. I don't want to talk about web hosting website owners (Reseller) on WJ. But if you take Facebook.com - they use Hydra Drive and HDDs... not near of SSD.

So you decide :)

SSDs are always the way to go if you have a budget for them. Preferably SSDs in Raid-10 for maximized performance and redundancy. Without Raid-10, with the faster burn out rate, you are looking at a disaster down the road if you plan on going long term. Also, make sure that for the process you are using, to also consider your CPU power and Ram amounts. All can be bottlenecks when looking at performance. Obviously, the more money you have to spend, the better the performance you are going to get. Its the way of the world! :D

There will be HUGE improve when you use SSD VPS, specially when you are hosting databases! You can not ignore the IOP difference between normal and SSD drives.

how about hybrid drive?

You only see a performance increase with Hybird when the drive can use the SSD cache but if it has to write to the HDD or read from it you will not see SSD performance.

You will have performance gains using pure SSD no matter the application. But more noticeably, will be in heavy load situations like a large website with a large Mysql database. SSD are great for VPS nodes sine IOPS pay such an important role in the performances of all the containers on the node.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back