Twilight.ws Announcement: Realtime submissions for 5* sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoo

The Wise One
As one of the leading DDL sites it's crucial that we keep evolving with the needs of both the downloaders and the webmasters. Therefore after some long days of coding I am here to introduce another new feature called real-time submissions that has never been seen before on any other DDL website.

Before you continue to read regarding the realtime submissions we would also like to bring to your attention that we have added several new official file hosts. These will still be fine tuned over the coming days.

We have also added several new buttons that can be found by clicking on the "link back code" link on our webmasters page. This way you can integrate a button of choice on your website instead of being forced to use the old button.

Last but not least we have updated our URL structure to be more user friendly.

Now let's continue to the real-time submissions...

You might be asking what the hell this is, actually it's really simple:

As 5* websites are considered as highest quality websites that submit to Twilight.ws it's important that they can quickly bring new content to the downloaders. They work hard, get new content fast and would like to make this new content visible to the downloaders as fast as possible.

This is where Twilight.ws now helps you with:

Every download that a 5* website submits will reach the top of our download listing within 2 minutes after submitting.

This is beneficial for your website as the content that is "hot" gets more exposure from the people that visit our site. This will result in even more traffic!
This is also beneficial for Twilight.ws since we can provide the visitors with even more fresh content compared to the past where people have to wait several hours before all submissions are updated.

Thanks for your attention ;)

Regards,
Twilight.ws

PS: This is not a support thread, for any questions please use the contact form on the website to contact us.

Last edited:
15 comments
Finally an announcement topic >_>

Well done Whoo!

I said earlier on msn that this can be a little unfair but tbh it's indeed a nice system & addition to Twilight.

Crazy stuff <3

As far I know, most of stuff is automated pi0. But hey, if you want to be the best, you gotta come up with something unique and cool, seems like it's working for Twilight.

When I talked to you on MSN I was under the impression they wouldn't be reviewed in a queue system and didn't realize they'd go live straight away. I'd look into a system where it only updates once it has about 3 or 4 sites that are 5 star in the queue which would work out about every 2-3 hours depending on the amount of 5 star sites you have and here's why.

If a site that's 5 stars submits 40 downloads then they will take up the whole of the home page. This isn't good for a number of reasons. If a 5 star site is hacked and the hacker decides to submit loads of submits then your whole main home page links to a hacked site.

Second and this is something Katz had a huge problem with:
sites that submit to DDL sites aren't usually big sites and are on shared hosting. Often if a site had 3 or 4 listings on the front of the Katz home page that site would start getting very slow due to the huge increase in traffic it had. Katz used to check the uptime of these sites and remove them from the front page if they had trouble loading. Remember most of these small sites are on cheap servers and have loads of inefficient plugins installed. A lot of traffic can come from the home page so this could slow a 5 star site and affect it and therefore your users. It's better to distribute traffic evenly over the day.

An additional problem is if you have 40 submits all by the same site then the /site/example.com will all point to the same site. As this page will appear almost exactly the same as the home page your limiting the way Google can get around your site by not providing a variety of /site/example.com links on the home page. Your doing the opposite and telling Google that /site/example.com is a very important page as it will have 40 links to it on the home page. Having such a large amount of links to the one page from your home page is not a good idea.

Another thing is your going to start sites competing with each other for the perfect time to submit.

I like the idea of auto approving sites as it's similar to the DDLCMS VIP System where links go live (sorry your not the first) but I think you need to restrict and modify it slightly. By waiting till you've 3-4 sites that are 5 stars in the queue you can random these onto the first page to mix it up a bit.

Great idea whoo and i disagree with my happy on these point:

Shared hosting.

All 5* sites must be hosted on vps for sure as shared hosting can't handle them.

Sites get to 5* step by step, not all of a sudden sites get promoted to 5*. It takes time, and in that time period, traffic increases, shared hosting can't handle such traffic. So usually sites owner buy a VPS or sale the site.

And google go through pages, bots crawl pages not just the main page.

So again google is not goin to get affected by it at all.

With auto approving system, there's no perfact timing for 5* sites. Every time is perfact timing for them, since they'll get to top and stay there as long as other site comes through.

Nice work, always keeping Twilight ahead of the game.

My question would be do you have something in place to verify that the submissions are being sent by the site admin, such as an email check. I think everyone can see where I am going with this.

Great idea whoo and i disagree with my happy on these point:

Shared hosting.

All 5* sites must be hosted on vps for sure as shared hosting can't handle them.

Sites get to 5* step by step, not all of a sudden sites get promoted to 5*. It takes time, and in that time period, traffic increases, shared hosting can't handle such traffic. So usually sites owner buy a VPS or sale the site.

And google go through pages, bots crawl pages not just the main page.

So again google is not goin to get affected by it at all.

With auto approving system, there's no perfact timing for 5* sites. Every time is perfact timing for them, since they'll get to top and stay there as long as other site comes through.

I'm sorry but this is just not true. Their are sites on shared hosting that are high ranked. One example on Twilight.ws which seams to be on shared is megaw.org which is 5 stars.

Even if a site is on a shit VPS it can have trouble. As I said this is a real problem that Katz did suffer from so it did and does happen. I had this problem on MechoDDL to a lesser extent when it was at it's peak getting thousands of hits an hour and I did make sure certain high ranked sites didn't appear on the home page due to prevent this.

Google goes through pages this is correct but by doing so a page is further from the index and loses page rank and Google juice.

Everyone knows if I have the following:
Home - > Page X
and
Home -> Page A -> Page B -> Page X

that Google finds it easier to get to Page X in the first example and that it gives the page more importance.

Guess this would only benefit 5* sites with bunch of dead filesonic links, and hurt everyone else
Please explain further what do you mean with your reply?

When I talked to you on MSN I was under the impression they wouldn't be reviewed in a queue system and didn't realize they'd go live straight away. I'd look into a system where it only updates once it has about 3 or 4 sites that are 5 star in the queue which would work out about every 2-3 hours depending on the amount of 5 star sites you have and here's why.

If a site that's 5 stars submits 40 downloads then they will take up the whole of the home page. This isn't good for a number of reasons. If a 5 star site is hacked and the hacker decides to submit loads of submits then your whole main home page links to a hacked site.

That's completely true, but since we don't have that much 5* websites this could happen too with the "old" submission system. A 5* website could easily have over 10-20 submissions on the frontpage.

Second and this is something Katz had a huge problem with:
sites that submit to DDL sites aren't usually big sites and are on shared hosting. Often if a site had 3 or 4 listings on the front of the Katz home page that site would start getting very slow due to the huge increase in traffic it had. Katz used to check the uptime of these sites and remove them from the front page if they had trouble loading. Remember most of these small sites are on cheap servers and have loads of inefficient plugins installed. A lot of traffic can come from the home page so this could slow a 5 star site and affect it and therefore your users. It's better to distribute traffic evenly over the day.

As said in the reply above this happened too in the past. We do monitor these websites and take the action that is needed. Ask warezusa.org owner that loading time and performance is something we also take into consideration for a 5* website. I'm not saying we are constantly checking these sites but there are several random tests that are being done to monitor slowness and unuserfriendlyness (It's not even a word but you know what I mean :P)

An additional problem is if you have 40 submits all by the same site then the /site/example.com will all point to the same site. As this page will appear almost exactly the same as the home page your limiting the way Google can get around your site by not providing a variety of /site/example.com links on the home page. Your doing the opposite and telling Google that /site/example.com is a very important page as it will have 40 links to it on the home page. Having such a large amount of links to the one page from your home page is not a good idea.

We only put 1 link to the site, the rest is marked with arrow that do not have a link behind them. Your logic is perfectly reasonable if this would be the case.

Another thing is your going to start sites competing with each other for the perfect time to submit.

Hell yea, some competition can't be that bad. It will make sure that the webmasters are always trying to improve their website + the content on it.

I like the idea of auto approving sites as it's similar to the DDLCMS VIP System where links go live (sorry your not the first) but I think you need to restrict and modify it slightly. By waiting till you've 3-4 sites that are 5 stars in the queue you can random these onto the first page to mix it up a bit.

Oh well, I haven't seen any real DDL site that runs on DDLCMS (lol). Of course the suggestions you gave are written down somewhere and taken into consideration for the next minor release. (We tend to improve the site a lot :P)

Thanks as always for your comment Mr Happy ;)

Giving you rep in a bit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back