Tutorial : How to install clamAV on centOS 7/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

immu

clamAV.png

Free & Best Antivirus for Linux servers is ClamAV. Email scanning, Web scanning and End point security are the few features which help secure your VPS, VDS or Dedicated Linux server. CentOS provides security such that threats are minimal but user actions can expose your server to tojans or virus. ClamAVs engine is capable of detecting 1 million viruses, worms, malware and other threads as claimed by ClamAV itself.

What are the Capabilities of ClamAV?​

1. ClamAVs database keep updating with latest discovered threads & viruses, with its advanced database updater you are always update to date with latest threats.
  2. ClamAV scans fast and give you an option to remove infected files on the go.
  3. Built in archive extraction capabilities scan compressed archives and protect against archive bombs
  4. Major archive compressions ClamAV supports are : zip, rar, 7zip, gzip, tar, dmg, img, pkg … etc
  5. for Linux, ClamAV provides real time protection, including ability to block file access until its scanned
  6. Built in support for all Mail formats
  7. Built in support for popular document formats including HTML, flash, pdf, MS Office, Mac Office

How to install ClamAV on Linux server or centOS​

Step by step tutorial to install ClamAV on centOS

Step 01 : ClamAV is not available on centOS default repo, you need to install special package ‘epel’ stands for Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux

yum install -y -q epel-release

Step 02 : Download and install clamAV from epel package

yum --enablerepo=epel -y -q install clamav-server clamav-data clamav-update clamav-filesystem clamav clamav-scanner-systemd clamav-devel clamav-lib clamav-server-systemd

Step 03 : update config file to replace examples

sed -i -e "s/^Example/#Example/" /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf sed -i -e "s/^Example/#Example/" /etc/freshclam.conf sed -i 's/^#LocalSocket \/run\/clamd.scan\/clamd.soc/LocalSocket \/run\/clamd.scan\/clamd.soc/' /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf

Step 04 : Update ClamAV database
freshclam

Step 05: start and enable the services

systemctl start clamav-freshclam.service systemctl enable clamav-freshclam.service systemctl enable clamd@scan systemctl start clamd@scan

Credits

1 comment
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back