Status
Not open for further replies.

jokky

Been through many RDP businesses and experienced their bad support so now I'm interested in getting my own personal RDP so I can manage it myself. Can someone lead me in the right direction such as, average costs, what server specs, etc?

Thank you.=)

19 comments
Get either your own server or Windows VPS.

I got tired of slow rar/unrar at RDPs (obviously due to overselling and 6-8 people at the same time).

Then I switched to a NL Windows RDP. Although the up- and download speeds were slightly lower than a RDP, I always had dedicated resources and RAR/UNRAR was always stable.

Look at hostplate.com. Prices start at EU26.99. If you look careful you might find a coupon somewhere.

Can be done. But remember for $27 you get what you pay for. A 100mbs port and a Atom 1.6 processor. Not exactly a powerhouse like RDP companies use.

And for $27 you need to pay for a Windows license too.

I wouldnt mind paying more for a better server, I can always share it with a couple of friends to make up for the costs.

How much is a windows license though? I actually own a few linux dedis but I have no experience setting up window RDPs. Kimsufi has some pretty cheap 100mb dedis so I might go for those.

Do I have to do any initial setting up or just buy a server with windows license and they will provide me with ip, admin login, and I can use it from the get-go?

Thanks for the help everyone!

ps. and yea this is for personal use only not starting a business or anything.

Last edited:
You could also buy a KimSufi dedicated with remote desktop Ubuntu. That way you save the money for a Windows License

Isn't it possible to connect to it with xrdp? Maybe after you install it with a command which you enter in Putty? And yes this is also a question. :)

8VOy7.jpg

True Sniffdog, buy you can use it for uploading/download/seeding. Just like Windows.
Yes it may be more advanced and less user friendly for people who are only used to use Windows. And to run specific Windows applications, you can always use Wine.

@subha86
Yeah, if he only wants Windows and doesn't know how to use Ubuntu, than Windows is the way to go.
But I see it as a cheaper alternative and Ubuntu isn't that hard to use. But yeah if you are used to Windows and don't want it more complicated, stick with Windows.

Excuse me for saying, but Ubuntu (or any Linux desktop) and Windows RDP are world's apart in both user friendliness and applications.

i agree.

Ubuntu even with NX which is supposed to be the fastest is still slow compare to Windows RDP. been there and tried but i still go back to native Windows Protocol.

Here is the solution for you get a kimsufi server as they are cheap.
If you have the budget for Windows server license then its fine. Highly recommend Windows server 2003(if ram less then 4GB) or 2008.

Or else go with Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back