Thought problem in physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvrle77

If Sun would dissapear this instant, would effect of gravity pull on Earth be noticeable instantly, or in 8.5 minutes?

(8.5 minutes is the speed of light)

What do you think?

11 comments
Not in 8.5 minutes, its not the light, But is it that sun stops radiating or is it something like, it disappears ?

If the sun would disappear, Think the gravity would change, and planets would go astray, or it would jupiter or saturn, upon which the gravity of earth it would, anycase it wouldnt take 8.5 minutes, as it has no relation with the light, but on contrary, nothing could travel faster than light, so it would take 8.5 mintues for the gravity to change.

Whats yours, ?

Imagine Earth is attached to Sun with giant rope, and it spins around the Sun.

We'll use rope to visualize force of gravity.

So, Earth goes around the Sun. Sun dissapears with the rope. Earth goes weee into space. Force that pulls them together, dissapears with the mass of one object that is gone, in this case Sun.

Last edited:
Yeah, according to Einstein, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light... Therefore the information that the Sun has disappeared and that the Sun's gravity no longer exists - in Einstein's theory would take 8 minutes to get to us.

I wonder if the Earth itself would keep it's gravitational pull? I suppose the Earth would still spin... but it would just be traveling in a straight line.

I know one thing though, if the Sun was to disappear, it would get cold pretty dam quick lol

Since the sun is the anchor and if it were to go missing, then the laws of gravity would kick in. This means plants would start to drift of course since they have no common bond. How long this takes, good question, but chaos would occur, this is clear.

I don't think we can discuss much here because we don't really know anything about gravitons, or even of their existence!
But if we assume that these hypothetical particles cannot exceed the speed of light then I would agree with Mr.Mirchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back