Suggestion About Buying New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bharat

Hi,

I guess most of you already made an idea about what i created this thread for. So basically i want to buy a new laptop, currently am a typical HP DV6 user. Now i want to upgrade my laptop to some premium range so that it will fit the nature of work i do, so the following is what am searching:

Budget : 1500$ - 2000$ (95000 INR - 1,25,000 INR) (Won't be exceeding this limit at all)
Processor : i7 (3rd or 4th GEN)
RAM : 8GB OR More
HDD : SSD (Doesn't need Big BOOM SATA'S)
Operating System : Any
Screen : 15"
Work to be done : Mostly Terminal Works (10 or so windows all together), I have setup a FTP server on my Laptop itself which moves data from my server to a portable disk so it barely will be getting shutdown atleast once in 15 days or maybe month, Movies(While i initiate some installation i used to see full HD movies or maybe youtube)

Overall : Need something that doesn't die, my current hasn't died actually but i seen in HP we have a heating problems by certain time, maybe due to long hours of work but it makes me worried as i don't want to lose my work.

Year's I used :- I used HP for 3 and 1/2 years, so i really can't expect anything more it. It is actually a best companion.

What other's suggested : Macbook Pro, HP Envy 15", Dell Alienware (Doesn't look professional at all)

Will be looking for your suggestions. Thanks

15 comments
Firstly, i am also looking for a laptop with the 4th Gen i7, sadly there isn't a model in HP nor Dell at the moment.
Exactly the same config as yours, in addition to a GFX card.
Would take a little while for 4th gen i7 laptops to arrive, i guess.

If you are fine with 3rd gen, you have the Dell Inspiron ZR series, but if i were you, i'd rather wait for the 4th Gen i7. :)

EDIT---

My bad, looks like they've just released the 4th Gen :
http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops#!everyday-laptops&facets=226291~0~16387360&p=1
:)

Last edited:
Firstly, i am also looking for a laptop with the 4th Gen i7, sadly there isn't a model in HP nor Dell at the moment.

If you are fine with 3rd gen, you have the Dell Inspiron ZR series, but if i were you, i'd rather wait for the 4th Gen i7. :)

EDIT---

Laptops, Ultrabooks & Notebooks - Dell Laptop Computers for Sale | Dell

Oh it looks so pretty, it is available in India ? Config looks great as well.

EDIT---

Laptops, Ultrabooks & Notebooks - Dell Laptop Computers for Sale | Dell

Oh it looks so pretty, it is available in India ? Config looks great as well.
I don't see those in the Indian website, but can see XPS laptops with 4th Gen core i7:
http://www.dell.com/in/p/laptops.aspx?~ck=anav#!57477~0~3754125&facets=57477~0~3754125&p=1

XPS is kind of "Ulta Pulta" :P Don't know if it's successful to be used in a heavy work :\ I guess i need to go with MacBook Pro 15" Standard i7, 256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia.

XPS is kind of "Ulta Pulta" :P Don't know if it's successful to be used in a heavy work :\ I guess i need to go with MacBook Pro 15" Standard i7, 256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia.

Have a look at this one then:
HP Envy TouchSmart 15-J001TX Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph/ Touch) - HP: Flipkart.com

Oh that looks something cool :) Awesome find :p Let me research on this one.

PS : Is touch laptops are suitable for long term use ?

Even I'd recommend the Macbook Pro. Wait for their Haswell based processors and then make a decision. For long use, Apple should be an ideal choice.

If you can manage to import from USA than I would suggest go with lenovo y510p with SLI currently in offer for around $1200.(It is a beast I think one of the best config I could find :) but sadly in India only single gpu version is available)

US Lenovo Shop: IdeaPad Y510p High-Performance 15.6" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

Also if can import from USA do checkout: Xoticpc.com (they have some seriously power systems on their site plus their laptops are very customizable too)

Version available in india (also available on flipkart): IdeaPad Y510p (Dusk Black)

The best part about this laptop is that you can remove the DVD drive and replace it with SSD(The ultra bay feature :D )

I am in love with this system I am waiting for lenovo dual gpu version to launch in India.

Also get this system with 3year in home accidental cover from lenovo and you are set for next few year :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back