Dedicated streaming desktop from server - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanbi

Hi,

i have a little weird purpose but i hope someone understand what i want to say^^

i want to capture a livestream from the internet with a tool that capture my desktop and stream it to my mediaserver.
to make it more clear: i open my browser, go to youtube.com for example, start a fullHD video, start the capture/stream software and go into fullscreen.

this setup works perfectly fine on my local computer! the disadvantage is i cannot use my PC in the meantime and i have to let it power on the whole time.

so i asked myself if i can do the same thing with a dedicated server?
i tried it with a server (+ integrated nvidia gpu) but it failed....the stream software failed to run (i guess because i used VNC to connect to my ubuntu server) and on youtube for example i could only watch videos in 360p.

is there any possibility that can make my setup work? or is it technical impossible?

best regards

2 comments
And You were trying to capture live stream on some Windows 2008 or 2012 server OS?
I think this should work. I can also provide Linux RDP, if you google: Linux ubuntu capture video stream
you may find some tutorials, that this capturing can be possible.

Most of the videos streamed on the internet can be downloaded directly without need of capturing screen.

Hi wdc,

it was ubuntu 14.04 :)
yeah i thought it should work too but somehow it wasn't -.-

as i mentioned there were two major problems!
first my stream software wasn't running i have pasted the error code here:
#10299730 - Pastie
here is the software: https://obsproject.com/

and second issue is the quality. i think the quality is low because i connect via VNC and therefore the quality can't be fullhd of the video that make sense. but i do not want to look via VNC the video....i only want that the video is playing on the server, i capture it,stream it and leave the server on without beeing connected all the time you know?^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back