Should buy PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 comments
Both Xbox One and PS4 have a healthy lineup of stellar games, making anyone who buys either of these consoles the real winner. But overall, the Xbox One is our current favorite.

XBOX vs PlayStation

Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 are constantly evolving, each adding new features and exclusive titles in a bid to take over your living room. The Xbox One offers a wealth of entertainment options and now plays a bunch of Xbox 360 games, while the PS4's excellent sharing capabilities make it easy to show friends your favorite gameplay clips — and even virtually hand your companions the controller for a little while.

The Xbox One and PS4 have grown to have wide libraries of great games, and with both systems starting at $350, it's never been a better time to embrace gaming's latest generation. But which console should you choose? We've put the Xbox One and PS4 up against each other in a seven-round brawl to determine which system is strongest.

Game Library

Both PS4 and Xbox One play many of this generation's best titles, from third-party blockbusters such as Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 to charming indies such as Shovel Knight and Rocket League. Most sports games come to both systems, though Sony's MLB: The Show series is exclusive to PlayStation.

Xbox One has a fairly strong emphasis on first-party exclusives, with big titles such as Halo 5: Guardians, Quantum Break and Forza Motorsport 6 headlining its current lineup. PS4's big first-party games include Bloodborne, Until Dawn and Uncharted 4, though Sony has also been pushing third-party titles such as the latest Call of Duty and Destiny games, both of which have PlayStation-exclusive content. Fighting-game fans can play only Street Fighter V and the upcoming King of Fighters XIV on PS4, though Microsoft's Killer Instinct is exclusive to Xbox.
Even though the two systems have similar libraries, Xbox One has one major ace in the hole: backward compatibility. More than 100 Xbox 360 games are currently playable on Microsoft's new console, including Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and the entire Gears of War series, and Microsoft has been adding support for new 360 titles on a monthly basis.

You can play older games on PS4, but not without paying up. A small selection of digital PS2 classics are available on Sony's new console for about $15 a pop, each scaled up to 1080p with earnable trophies and support for features such as Share Play and Remote Play.
The PS4 plays PS3 games via PlayStation Now, which allows you to stream a small library of last-gen titles (including hits from the Batman: Arkham, Assassin's Creed and Uncharted series) from the cloud for $20 a month, or on an a la carte basis. In contrast, Xbox One is the exclusive home of EA Access, which lets you play an ever-growing library of EA games for $30 a year or $5 a month.

Sony's wider ecosystem of games is tied together more tightly thanks to Cross Play, which lets you purchase select games once and play them across your PS4, PS3 and Vita platforms. Microsoft is slowly building a similar ecosystem across Xbox One and Windows 10 with games such as Quantum Break and Killer Instinct, which let you save your progress as you jump between Xbox and PC.

Hardware

You shouldn't judge a game console solely on how sexy a plastic rectangle it is, but the PS4 is the clear winner in the looks department. The 6.1-pound system's matte-black finish and sleek, angular design are as easy on the eyes as they are on your backpack, and it's the only one of the two systems that can be propped up vertically, with a $20 stand.

While still attractive, the Xbox One is, well, more of a big, black box. The system's top panel is half-glossy, half-matte — a pattern that's reversed on the front of the machine to create a subtle checkerboard effect. Weighing 7 pounds and measuring 13 inches wide, the Xbox One is a bit harder to transport and will take up more shelf space than the slimmer, 11-inch-wide PS4.
Both consoles start with 500GB of storage, which will fill up fast considering how many games take up upward of 50GB on your hard drive. Fortunately, both consoles support expandable storage. Xbox One has the advantage in this department, as you can simply plug in any USB 3.0 external hard drive for more space. On PS4, you'll have to open up your console and swap in a new 2.5-inch or SATA drive.
The Xbox One controller is a lighter and more ergonomic version of the Xbox 360 controller, with flatter, snappier face buttons and glossy bumpers at the top. For the hardcore crowd, Microsoft offers a $150 Elite Wireless Controller, which features built-in soft grips, swappable thumb sticks and d-pads, and fully remappable buttons.
PS4's cozy DualShock 4 controller has more special features than the standard Xbox One pad, with a front-facing touchpad, motion-control capabilities, a built-in speaker, and a light bar at the top that changes colors based on your battery level or the game you're playing. The PS4's DualShock 4 supports micro USB charging right out of the box, whereas you'll need a $25 charging kit for the same functionality on the original Xbox One controller.
The PS4 will be the first console to offer virtual reality, once Sony's PlayStation VR headset launches later this year for a still-unknown price. While Microsoft doesn't seem to be planning its own VR headset, the company's augmented-reality HoloLens headset may eventually beam Xbox One games to your wall.

Performance and Graphics

If you're concerned about nuts and bolts, both of these graphically muscular machines have an 8-core x86-64 AMD Jaguar processor with 8GB of RAM, an AMD Radeon GPU and a 500GB hard drive. Both consoles support expandable storage: the PS4 via its swappable SSD drive, and the Xbox One via just about any external USB 3.0 storage drive.

While games generally look and play great on both systems, PS4 has the edge in terms of resolution. For example, according to IGN's database, games such as Batman: Arkham Knight and Shadow of Mordor all run at full 1080p on PS4, while Xbox One gamers have to settle for 900p on those titles. Metal Gear Solid V and Star Wars Battlefront run at only 720p on Xbox One, while PS4 handles those titles at 1080p and 900p, respectively.
However, smoothness and resolution don't necessarily go hand in hand. For example, the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare jumps between 1360 x 1080p and full 1080p based on how hectic the on-screen action is. According to Digital Foundry, this allows the game to stay at a smooth 60 fps more often than can the always-1080p PS4 version.
The difference between 1080p and 900p will matter to some gamers and not to others. However, if getting the best possible crispness for most games is a priority, PS4 comes out on top.

I bought both. So I can play both Xbox exclusives (such as Forza) as well as PS4 exclusives. Must say I like the Xbox One interdace better.

Just buy a classic console like an N64. More than enough good games for older gen systems that still hold up. And so much cheaper.

PS4 is awesome but if you have $$$$ they go for a baddass pc ...
I have no idea why i am replying to an old thread ... You might have already bought a PS4 but oh well i dont care

You don't buy PS4 cause of its strong hardware or beauty model right ? You buy it to play game! So you should pick out a list of game you want to play, then check to see which platform do they belong to. If most of the game you want to play is PS4 only, then PS4 is the right choice.

I pefer ps4 i have both and for the games i play their optimized for the ps4.The ps4 is more simple and easier to use. If you having trouble deciding which one just search on google ps4 vs xbox one and see which one fits you best.

Get PS4! the gamers have more ps4 then xbox one :) you have to wait for PS4 Neo they will be released soon i hope they can best Xbox one s :x:

PC is greater than PS4

I would suggest to build a gaming pc because ps4 have a cap of 30 FPS and not customize-able where on the other hand you can get great results on PC and far smooth gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back