Setting up Home Server for RDP Services - Good Idea or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleservers

Hello WJ,

I am from Canada and I wanted to start an RDP service here.

For that, Instead of buying servers from outside, I decided to setup a server at my home and provide RDP services from there.

So far, I have setup a PC with 64GB DD4 RAM, Xeon E5-10600KF processor, 1 TB NVME SSD for the Operating System and 4TB additional Drive for the space for clients.

I wanted to ask you guys, what do you think is it a good way to proceed and will WJ like this ?

I have a Gigabit connection but unlike the ISP's it;'s not going to be 900Mbps but after setup I will see what i get.

Your inputs are appreciated.
Post automatically merged:

I have to figure out the static IP i guess that's one issue i have to resolve. :)

Last edited:
8 comments
Good Idea, You just need a good group of friends or contact circle who can track users to buy your service, or you should also have a beautiful website, i am sure you will get good amount soon from this business.

I can do the website and sell services. Just want to make sure the tech is up to date and ready to work for clients. I am also considering to use Windows Server version or just use Windows 10 pro or something to let people stay simple.

Last edited:
I wouldn't , I presume you have a fixed IP & If you give someone access to your home IP you could end up on spam blacklists blocking you from accessing many sites.

Do you know how home networking works so people cant access your network from RDP?

How does your ISP deal with DMCA? I think most would just ban you.

What if someone rents the use of your server and home IP & views unethical material and you end up with the CPS at your door?

Rent to a few close friends?

This was the answer I was searching for. I can usually keep an eye on what;s going on and kick people out. Or allow services to people who have been using services with other providers let's say or to verified WJ members.

This was the answer I was searching for. I can usually keep an eye on what;s going on and kick people out. Or allow services to people who have been using services with other providers let's say or to verified WJ members.
I would say to pay attention to DMCA because usually people are using RDPs to do shady stuff, not to browse the Wikipedia :) And you don't want shady stuff that's linked to your home IP address...

For a RDP server, few basic things are:
  • Good quality internet network
  • Quality hardware
  • Less downtime.
  • Abuse notices
  • Windows Server 2016+
If you running server from home itself, make sure it is in isolated environment with plenty of cooling and safety.

I see problems coming with your provider as soon as the bandwidth starts to rise.

Even if you have unlimited bandwidth this will pose an issue.

And yes, you don't want to get DMCA in Canada.

Last edited:
I would stay away from it. I agree with the con-comments above. DMCA at your doorstep is not something you want. You can't really be sure that you can hide behind nice DMCA practices and be safe. In the end, you can be liable, if you don't have "sufficient anti-piracy measures" in place. Rightsholders get more power by the minute.

Companies have the advantage of loads of customers and legal teams etc.

Legal stuff aside, the power requirements and maintenance to the server all falls on you. That will be a pretty steep expense that you will have to pass onto your "customers".

Gigabit connections are nice, but then again, you can buy cheap RDP instances, either hypervisor virtualized or full root server for a very low cost, with a dedicated gigabit uplink. So the line between what you have to charge your users, and what kind of resources they actually get, is very thin.

I also used to host a server or two at home, but I have changed to hosting my stuff in a datacenter instead. The power bill alone would pay for 1 or 2 of my current 7 servers.

In a datacenter you also have 24/7 support and hardware replacements included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back