Security Thread, Get/Post your tips here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bumping this thread back up so you can all check it once again!!!

This aint one of them "It wont happen to me" shit! look around you.. alot of people have got hacked so please read and implement ideas from this thread!

Really Important Tips .. Are these tips for Forums only (VB..) or others scripts like WordPress and DataLife Engine ?

Thanks LW.

Not save passwords + keyscrambler
if ur freak about security and paranoid encrypt ur os with truecrypt
get vpn if you can
if your coding your own website make sure u parse proper all user input/output so theres no chance of sql injection, post injection xss etc...
have separate mails for different stuff, different passwords on everything

Not sure if this was stated before but for vBulletin webmasters:

- Change the location of your admin and mod directories. Make it something like yoursite.com/area51/adminx / modx, etc..

- Remove ALL admin login links from your site. This includes the admin and mod links in the footer, edit user profile in the members profile section, remove the forum options section in the topic display area, but leave the rest of the options as they only redirect to the basic login page.

- Never share your mod or admin link with anyone who asks. Give it to a staff member and establish a type of code he can say when he needs it again. This way if he was ever hacked and you ask him a question and he cannot answer, you will know its not him.

This is definitely a handy little trick.

Also password protect the admin directory.

EDIT: Seen it in the original post. I just explained it a little bit more. xD

Great post, here's something I would add:

- On vBulletin, rename and move your config.php file
Code:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=198856
- While you should move your admin panel, also set up a fake one that is just a login screen, and get it to report any login attempts to you.
- If you're new to a vps then install CSF Firewall, it's not the best, but by far the easiest to use and learn. Also, follow the guides it has on it
- Don't delete the Install directory! Delete all the important files in it, except maybe a few useless text files, and an index.html so that they can't see the files. It get's the hackers hopes up
- If you're on a vps, don't use the root account, make a new account with root privileges named something more genuine
- Once again, for a vps, disable /cpanel and preferably move the cPanel port
- Disable any file extensions you don't use, this could help deter scripts, and you can do this through .htaccess

Hope this helps some people

hi, some one please point me to a guide to prevent xss attacks in forms by filtering, etc.
thanks.

btw theres a xss vulnerability on tizag.com itself xD

XSS Filtering is not easy to get perfect but you can prevent alot of attacks by attempting to convert the source value (search,comment) into its entities.

Usually when i build a system i will sanitize all input as stranded !

For instance
PHP:
function sanitize($input)
{
    if(is_array($input))
    {
        $temp = array();
        foreach($input as $k => $v)
        {
             $temp[$k] = sanitize($v);
        }
        return $temp;
    }
    return htmlentities($input,ENT_QOUTES);
}

$_GET = sanitize($_GET);
$_POST = sanitize($_POST);

$search = $_GET['search'];

If a user posts in your search box something like "<div />" the value of $search about will be "&lt;div /&gt;".

so if you use $search in your template / html file its pretty safe.

Also take note of Strip Tags and Filter Var in PHP

i ment to mention that to you but i forgot to add it to the topic..

that peice of kit is really really good and cuts out a loads of possibilities but its very bulky for its single purpose.

And what about null bytes?
Code:
http://php.net/manual/en/security.filesystem.nullbytes.php

and btw I null scripts my own when I can. If I can't or don't have time, then I use DGT or FS nulls.

Thread unstuck, mainly due to inactivity and the fact that litewarez himself stickied this thread when he was moderator.

I just wanted to talk about the PL1 fix for vbulletin 3.8.6
you have to save this code in a file and upload it to your server(login as admin maybe required since I was logged in as amin when I tested it :p)
PHP:
<?php
require_once('global.php'); 
$db->query_write("DELETE from " . TABLE_PREFIX . "phrase WHERE varname = 'database_ingo'"); 
echo "successfully patched";
?>
and then just navigate to it using your browser
that was the PL1 fix.
@NewEraCracker
for null byte vuln you can use addslashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back