RIP Dennis Ritchie, 1941-2011: Computer scientist, Unix co-creator, C programming lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kw3rLn

RIP Dennis Ritchie, 1941-2011: Computer scientist, Unix co-creator, C programming lan
By Xeni Jardin at 7:19 pm Wednesday, Oct 12

Computer scientist Dennis Ritchie is reported to have died at his home this past weekend, after a long battle against an unspecified illness. No further details are available at the time of this blog post.

Wikipedia biography here.

He was the designer and original developer of the C programming language, and a central figure in the development of Unix. He spent much of his career at Bell Labs. He was awarded the Turing Award in 1983, and the National Medal of Technology in 1999.

"Ritchie's influence rivals Jobs's; it's just less visible," James Grimmelman observed on Twitter. "His pointer has been cast to void *; his process has terminated with exit code 0."

The news of Ritchie's death was first made public by way of Rob Pike's Google+.

Photo, below: Candlelight vigil for Dennis M. Ritchie. (thanks, Kevin)

6239216961_ed4a9255d3_o.jpg

Wiki:
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

Source:
Code:
http://boingboing.net/2011/10/12/dennis-ritchie-1941-2011-computer-scientist-unix-co-creator-c-co-inventor.html

In my opinion this man was more important in the IT world then Steve Jobs

20 comments
He was the creator of C. It is the basic language where ever you go now.

Well no comparing to Steve Jobs. Both are great. It is life, some day you must die. Long live man :)

RIP!

true man , but i am thinking when i will die how i will inform WJ :( ???

Tell your girlfriend to come on here and open a thread about I guess :|
and informing WJ about your death should really be the last thing on your mind.

By the time you die (if you die around 60-90 yrs old, I doubt WJ will still exist)

R.I.P Dennis.

true man , but i am thinking when i will die how i will inform WJ :( ???
You can create thread 2 mins ago here and then shoot urself or do what bxflow said 8-) jk :))

------------------------------

RIP Dennis! With Steve Jobs death, many people are forgetting this person.
Many other langauges which we all use today were made in C

Thank you Mr.Dennis for making such a great platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back