Review: ReadTheScene.org (WarezBBs official magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxTrance

This has been completed for about two weeks, but would love some feedback on what you love or hate about the site. We are finishing up the newest issue of theSCENE and it should be released in a few weeks. Once we finish up the newest issue all new content will be posted directly on the website, and no longer in the PDF issue.

So anyways, what are your thoughts?

www.readthescene.org

Want reviews on accessibility, readability, etc. Does it flow well? Do you like the look of it? What can be improved?

Last edited:
16 comments
This is true quality. Very impressive. Rarely I see that. I like everything I see. Perfect. I just want to brag. A few things that can be improved are: Quality of some of the photos that appear in the slide lecture. Poor quality on a couple of pictures. I think I would have moved the date by posts, recent comments and follow us on twitter to the bottom. Changed the location of a couple of things.

Definitely top marks.

Hey man, thanks for the review!!

Do you mean the pictures for the article numbers? For theSCENE 23 and 24 I lost the font I was using for the others, so they look WAY WORSE, lol. As for the placement of the home page items, I'll play around with it and see which way looks best. Thanks again for the kind words,

LT

*edit*

I actually removed all three sections (recent posts, comments, and twitter feed) as these are on every page (sidebar). I think it looks much better that way, thanks for the advice! I'll add a dropdown menu for the posts by date, so people can still search that way.

Last edited:
I love the magazine, but hate the site's design. The background is so irrelevant, doesn't even give me the professional feel that the magazine does. Everything should be brighter, but not too bright. Dark gray would be perfect for a primary skin color.

Hmm, what would be a relevant background for a Warez magazine? I tried to find something that wouldn't detract from the text. If there's a better option for a background I'm open to it. We originally had a light design, but I actually like it a bit better darker. To Each their own though :) can't make everyone like it.

Thanks for the reviews so far.

Site is awesome and unique, social icons in the bottom should have hover effect. Contact us should slide out on mouse over.

After every movie the tag remains the same
Code:
Tagged movie, reviews
I don't know, if it is right or wrong but it doesn't look good. Categories are not displayed on website.
You have used #FF6AA5 for links, use some bright variant like #FF10B3. It suites more. Just my 2 cents. :P

Well, I don't know why theSCENE focuses on Movies. I mean haven't you got any other niche to write about ? All I get in theSCENE is just Movie A review, Movie B review.. etc.

What as a reader I'd suggest -

Make the magazine an all-rounder and not any niche specific
Write about the new upcoming security threat, like; ways to protect your identity on the internet, secure your machine, etc. Interview with few Security Analysts, etc.
Write about a specific profession, for example, a life of a photographer, a life of a plumber.
Add some humour section so that the reader doesn't gets bored of reading the reviews.

etc...

Hey Ace, thanks for the review. I was planning on doing a hover effects, but actually forgot all about it. I'll make them transition to the site color once hovered. Yeah, we usually will have a lot more content but last issue was pretty much all movie reviews as our tech writers took off, we now have a new tech team so we should have more varied content and categories. Categories are under the Issues link on the menu, but for now there's only a couple of categories (I'm working on archiving all past issues of theSCENE, so we should have about 300 articles along with 10-12 categories, when I'm done. I'll check into the brighter color code, I was trying to match it as closely to the logo as possible, but I agree it might look better brighter :) I'll give it a go and see how it looks

Hey Blaze:
Actually we write about a lot more than movies, check the archive here for all our past issues:

http://readthescene.org/issues/

We have a lot of tech reviews, interviews, opinion-based articles, etc. The most recent issue of theSCENE was pretty much all movies, as a lot of our writers were on break, or had finals, etc. This current issue (we are working on) has 2 big interviews (TorrentFreak -- and a special one I can't mention yet), several tech reviews, etc. Should be much more varied.

Looks are simply awesome, but you need to rename the theme folder coz many will start overusing the theme and hurt the uniqueness of readthescene, you can leave it if it's not a problem.

9/10 from me, keep it up.

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah I need to change it at some point, this is the theme we are using:

Code:
http://themeforest.net/item/breeze-professional-corporate-and-portfolio-wp/118824
*I purchased the theme, so it's 100% legit*

We've edited it like crazy, so it's pretty unique now, but yeah the author of Breeze has so many references to folder name /breeze/ that if I change the folder name (wanted it to be wbbofficial) it kills the site. Not a huge deal, and something I can go through and change, just haven't done it yet. Definitely on the to-do list

Not bad, I can see there has been a lot of effort put into this. The theme is great, but doesnt really suit the the site tbh. It does the job though so thats fine.

I would add some more information on the first page stating what theSCENE is and general information for first-time visitors. Add a paragraph above "check out the most recent issue of thescene".

The blog hasnt been updated since April 16th - keep this up-to-date, at least 1 post per week.

Yeah it won't be updated until we roll out the new magazine, which should be in a week (we'll publish all the articles simultaneously) however we will be publishing a few articles ahead of time. After this next release we will be publishing all content directly to the website, when that happens we should have about 7-10 posts a week. Thanks for the review :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back