Status
Not open for further replies.

LuDo8

Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5410
16 GB DDR2 RAM
2 x 1.5 TB 7200 HDD
Unmetered Bandwidth
1 Gbps Unmetered

Would these specs be able to handle 15 VPS in Xen?

What if the ram got bumped up to 32gb, 30 VPS Xen?

Or is that overloading? Please explain in detail.

Thanks in advance guys.

11 comments
If you actually listed the plans you have i could help more in giving you information, How ever if you as an individual cant even figure out if your going to over sale a server you shouldn't bother.

Or is that overloading? Please explain in detail.
30 vps is crazy. Not sure what your plans are but I think you will have some bad experiences with 30vm. Depending on the sites, even 15vm is bad.

Thats quite decent specs, you should be able to do atleast 16 CPU wise. 8-16 good. 16-24 pushing it. 16-32 too low cpu, but depends on size of VPSs and the users.

with 16, each person gets 1/2 of a core average CPU. (1.12ghz)
with 24, each person gets 1/3 of a cpu core average (800mhz approx)
with 32.... (600mhz -- too small, unless some people arent doing much)

Take a look at my post, its more informative. If the node has 25 then I think it would be probably a 2x(quad 2.8ish) Id hope anyway.

Since this is a Dual, then CPU wise it can easily handle 40 VPS's. From my experience, if your selling VPS's then 12 gig of ram is more then good enough to cover most of your plans.

Those saying 15 is bad, don't got a clue.

Ram isnt the major concern usually, ram is cheap, cpu's arent.

If you put 40 people on that box then god help them, they each get 400mhz of CPU time!

Most VPS accounts I see are allotted 1ghz per VPS or more....so 15 or so would be just perfect, definitely 20 is pushing it

Yea I had 15 in mind as a fair number as well, I'm pretty sure 80% providers out there cram 25 VPS on there. Reason I ask is I'm thinking about picking up a dedicated server for myself, and make a couple of VPS to help offset some of the costs.

Last thing I'd want to do is screw myself by overloading it. Thanks everyone and Splitice for breaking it down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back