.pw Domains - Are they really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox

So most of you know that .pw domains were recently launched with the hype that pw = Professional Web. However, the truth is .pw is a country level tld for Palau whose population is only about 21000 people.

Will .pw domains have better visibility in terms of other extensions? Or this is just a marketing gimmick to lure people into buying them?

What are your thoughts on this?

5 comments
Some country TDLs are also accepted as general TDLs, like .me and few others. Not sure if that's a case with pw, because they are quite fresh.

Just like any extension, it all depends on the domain name that you create. And just like any domain name you create, it all boils down to what you do with said domain.

You can buy a domain at virtually any extension and turn it into a success.

.PW could stand for Professional Web
.PW could stand for Password
.PW could stand for whatever you want it to be (essentially tailoring it to your site).

.PW is linked to a country as you said ROX with only 21,000 people. A country that 99.9% of the world hasn't even ever heard of. So therefore the power is now in control of the individual domain owner to create something out of essentially nothing.

Good examples of successful extensions are .co's. .CO is actually Cambodia. But we consider it as Corporation here in America and I'm sure in Europe it is considered the same. It's a great alternative for anyone who is also looking to get in on the typo game. Although I wouldn't suggest it with .co's.

I know I purchased a lot of .PE's and am stuck with almost every single one of them so will be forced to develop sadly enough.

Be careful when buying these types of extensions if you don't plan on developing. If you are buying them for re-sale without developing. I would say - stay away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back