Status
Not open for further replies.

avRo

hy, How can I stop auto sites to use my rss feed??
Some sites are coping my all post through rss.

how can I stop them?? Need expert advice

10 comments
You can use htaccess , useragent protection to protect to some limit.
Add me on Skype/MSN for more details.

Or use my SP-Guard script to keep them at bay

hy, How can I stop auto sites to use my rss feed??
Some sites are coping my all post through rss.

how can I stop them?? Need expert advice

Your going about this the wrong way. It's easy to fake user agents, use a proxy and scrape a site. Why not take advantage of the situation and add more links in your content to other parts of your site. For example if it's a post about a new movie staring Tom Curise have a link in the content linking to other movies on your site by Tom Curise.

Two things will happen if you do this. First your site is easier to navigate and Google will find it a hell of a lot easier to crawl your site. The second is the site copying yours will have lots backlinks to your site. Not just backlinks but what's known as Deep Linking backlinks as these go to relevant specific pages and not just your homepage like a regular backlink.
Now if he is a good coder he can try to remove your links (this is far harder than faking a user agent or using a proxy).
The problem is your links are hard to remove.

You can have text buried in your content like this

"Tom Curise who also stared in Mission Impossible as posted by USERNAME can be found HERE (link to Mission Impossible) on your favorite Movie Site YOUR SITE NAME"

I've have about 20 random sentences and if it's a movie I'd use IMDB to get the director, actors etc and then use that info to search your site to see if they is anything on your site already. This can all be automated. In fact I did something similar successfully on automated sites I made a number of years ago.

They could try and replace YOUR SITE NAME and USERNAME with theirs but if they remove the link the sentence makes no sense. To be honest it's so messy trying to replace certain bit's of text that it's just easier to go to another site and take their content instead.

How do you know they are using RSS at all?
Depends on leecher which you have to know how it works, by testing it from your side, sending different posts, changing things, and trying to benefit from it, just like Happy said.

Sometimes, truncating feed isn't enough, and sometimes, nothing can help, if leecher is too advanced.

Last edited:
thanks mr happy and cravle, I am trying to follow !
bt the leecher is very clever,if I add my site title with post/ as password,it removes it

Last edited:
Well,

You can ban the leecher, take a look to your server access logs.

Apache : /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log
Nginx : /path/to/logs/nginx-access.log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back