Status
Not open for further replies.

ram.sharma

my question is what is main use of high port speed

suppose i have 2 server both have same specification but one have 100mbps port speed and one have 10gbps

then what will diffrent between these 2 server

Sorry for noob question :(

5 comments
If you are just hosting your own personal sites it would not make a difference other then protection from a ddos and offering personal downloads.

The 100mbps is good enough for personal sites since you do not have 10,000+ visitors.
If you have it for the purpose of downloading and uploading well it would be a huge advantage and alot of the time a bigger pipe (higher speed) sometimes helps latency issues for worldwide connections if the bandwidth providers are not to well connected to eachother.

100mpbs = 12.5MB/s
8mbps = 1MB/s

therefore if you have a dedicated:
100mpbs (12.5MB/s) you can push through a theoretical 32400GB in a month
10gbps (1250MB/s) you can push through a theoretical 3240000GB in a month

Also the 10Gbps line will be able to handle spikes in traffic better than the 100mpbs line.

Think of it this way:
100mpbs = small alleyway which can fit a small number of people an hour
10gbps = a massive alley which can fit x100 times more people an hour

Last edited:
100mpbs = 12.5MB/s
8mbps = 1MB/s

therefore if you have a dedicated:
100mpbs (12.5MB/s) you can push through a theoretical 32400GB in a month
10gbps (1250MB/s) you can push through a theoretical 3240000GB in a month

Also the 10Gbps line will be able to handle spikes in traffic better than the 100mpbs line.

Think of it this way:
100mpbs = small alleyway which can fit a small number of people an hour
10gbps = a massive alley which can fit x100 times more people an hour

The way you quoted the port speeds and real time speeds are incorrect.

You are adding in overhead that a original residential speed would get. Server to node overhead would make a 100mbps reach up to a maximum of 45mbps.

8mbps would reach up to 3.5-4mbps... But you are correct about the other information.

The way you quoted the port speeds and real time speeds are incorrect.

You are adding in overhead that a original residential speed would get. Server to node overhead would make a 100mbps reach up to a maximum of 45mbps.

8mbps would reach up to 3.5-4mbps... But you are correct about the other information.

I'm sorry but you are the one who is incorrect as the overhead could be non-existent if both servers were in the same DC or if they were a few hundred kilometers away from each other, but i did say theoretical. Then again i think you meant ping.

Last edited:
Everyone here should use proper caps.

Gbps ~= GBps
Gbit ~= GBits

Gbps == Gbits

Same for Mb and MB. There is a huge difference, and it will prevent confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back