PHP Still as popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 comments
There is alot of very badly written PHP code from people who do not know how to program and who never learned in university how to do it properly.

The problem is not with PHP but rookie programmers, hosts running outdated versions of PHP on slow/shared hardware

PHP could be extremely fast, hell just look at Facebook or Wikipedia

Yeah, PHP is extremely fast. In most cases, slowdowns are casued by Apache, or wrongly designed database with a lots of different queries. But even your slow hard drives can cause disk overload, which makes your database performance slow. Use RAID 10 with HDDs, and RAID 5 for SSDs. I prefer samsung 840 pro series, they are really undestroyable :)
I suggest you to never use cPanel or so. You should install and configure your server manually. It worth the extra time, cPanel causes much overhead to your server.
I have a debian server, with well optimized nginx, PHP and MySQL. It serves tens of millions of requests daily. I could even use memcached to improve performance.
It is just a Xeon E3 with 32GB DDR3 and SSD disks.
Also, do not believe people who say you need X*Gbit bandwidth for a blog, or forum. You only need that huge bandwidth if you offer big file downloads or streaming video.

Last edited:
Actually PHP is one of the fastest backend programming languages nowadays. It is also the most popular so far and much less expensive than its competitor ASP.NET

It is relatively easier as well but it definitely needs loads of practice to be considerably good at. But like most of the programming languages, it takes lifetime to master as it is always renewing and adding new features.

PHP is still one of the best languages out there. From the learning pov its a fairly easy to learn language. For web development PHP can still be considered one of the top contenders.

I think PHP in it's pure scripting form is pretty fast but once you start using it within a framework, I assume the heavy lifting done by
libraries kills it's performance.

But still i like c language..... I don't know....whatever, i know little bit but c is my favorite.....
I have made 1 program ...can anybody tell me the output ... :P
#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>
void main()
{
clrscr();
int i,j,sp=0,k,m,n=-1;
int t,f=3,v,a,b,p,h=-1;
int g,e=0,x,y=0,l,r=-1;
int w,z=-1;

for(i=0;i<=4;i++)
{
if(i==4)
{
printf(" ****************************************");/* 10 space there*/

printf("\n");
break;

}
for(k=8;k>=sp;k--)
{
printf(" "); /* 2 space there*/
}
sp++;
for(j=0;j<=0;j++)
{
if(i==0)
{
printf(" ******************************");/* 1 space there*/
break;
}
printf("*");
}

for(m=0;m<=n;m++)
{
printf(" ");/* 2 space there*/
}
n=n+2;
printf("*");
if(i==1)
{
printf(" *");/*27space there*/
}
if(i==2)
{
printf(" pv home *");/* 8 space PV 10 space*/
}
if(i==3)
{
printf(" *");/* 23 space then star*/
}
printf("\n");

}

for(a=0;a<=4;a++)
{
printf(" *");/* 10 space then star*/
for(p=0;p<=h;p++)
{
printf(" ");/* 1 space*/
}
h++;
for(b=0;b<=0;b++)
{
printf("*");
}
for(g=11;g>=e;g--)
{
printf(" "); /* 1 sapce*/
}
printf("*");

e=e+2;
for(l=0;l<=r;l++)
{
printf(" "); /* 1 space*/
}
r++;
if(r==3)
{
printf("* _______ *");/* star 8 space then 7 minus then 8 space then star */
printf("\n");
break;
}

printf("* *");/* 23 space */

printf( "\n");
}
for(v=0;v<=4;v++)
{
printf(" *");/* 10 space */
for(t=0;t<=f;t++)
{

printf(" "); /* 1 space */
}

f--;

printf("* ");/* 1space */
for(x=0;x<=y;x++)
{
printf(" ");
}
y=y+2;
if(y==6)
{
printf(" * * ");/* 2,2,21 space */
}
if(y==10)
{
printf(" ** ");/* 2, 20 space*/
y=-1;
}
printf(" *"); /* 2 space*/

for(w=2;w>=z;w--)
{
printf(" ");
}
z++;

if(z==0 || z==1)
{
printf("* |___|___| *");/* 7,7 space */
}
if(z==3)
{
printf("* *");/* 23 space */

}
printf("\n");
}

printf(" *****************************************");/* 9 space */
printf("\n");
printf(" * *");
printf("\n");
printf(" * *");
printf("\n");
printf(" * *");
printf("\n");
printf(" * *");
printf("\n");
printf(" * *");

getch();

}

PHP is very quick, and will probably be here to stay for quite a bit longer. For me the slow down usually ends up being asset retrieval for the site.

Im seeing a trend of many sites going towards Ruby or GoLand, PHP will obviously be around for a long while still since it is the foundation of many of the interactive sites online.

i like php, but I think in the web, the role of javascript will gain more and more importance. for example frameworks like angular.js by google and node.js :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back