Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

LtbN1YS.jpg

Alright so I was previously explaining to an admin here that we we could use a notification system like Facebook that would enhance our members forum experience by a mile. Like Facebook, when someone replies to your post, likes it, etc.. You get a notification saying so. I think it would be one of the most appreciated plugins/mods incorporated on here.

This way users can stay on top of their sales threads, comments, post, threads, etc.. What better tracking system and useful mod than to know when your request or anything of the sort has been 'checked up on'.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:
39 comments
Can almost guarantee any mod you find for this or make for it will put a lot of stress on the DB.

Anyhow, ill have a look into it out of interest, though I doubt it'll be implemented here anytime soon.

already we have a email mesg when someone send a PM also the person who creates a thread can enable email notification, what else you are looking for ?

Notification system can be added via various mods being installed on to the site which would affect the DB. It can surely be done but it would affect us seriously

Stuff like Who Quoted me? UserTag? And other such mods can be compiled into one notification system but it would affect the DB very seriously unless and until JmZ or someone else finds a way around it

I'd like to see this as well but like what JmZ and Raz3r said it can surely happen but the stress is the issue cause for one day in and day out vBulletin queries does a write to a MyISAM table, or does an unindexed query etc plus you have the shoutbox etc. Which may need to be taken into account. You "could" always use caching. vBulletin does have Memcached etc in it so maybe in some way there could be a sandbox of some sort to handle it, set the key then check the cache,Run the query and get the data from the database then cache it and do something like

$memcached->set($key, $row, TRUE, 15); // Store the result from the query used for 15 secs

it could help the load in the database cause wherever a database query is made etc, instead of just connecting to the database and getting the data we want we to first see if the data is already stored via "temporary cache" so if the return is NULL or in other words returns nothing then go to the real database do what needs to be done, store it and it'll be ready for next time but that's just my input i mean i'm sure there are other ways but yeah those are my thoughts on this. I have been working on a mod just like this but at this moment i never thought to do memcached i just may have to do that for myself. Anyhow hope this helped :|

Last edited:
I don't like that idea. I have turned every notification off on facebook because it was too much. I had to delete my mails daily ...
If you ask me, I don't support this idea. It's fine like now and to see if someone replied to your topic or not, you can click on "view my posts" or to see the likes you can go to the "reputation" tab on your profile.

Baraka, I already know exactly how I'd do such a mod, from the minute it got suggested. It would be very efficient but likely overkill for WJ.

Include a TLDR at the bottom of your post next time, yours could've been summed up in one sentence:
"I'm trying to figure this out myself, maybe using memcached would be a good idea."

I support this idea. Updates for private and visitor messages, posts in own threads @ marketplace/hosting/graphics section, tagged users and quoted posts are at top. However server do needs to be strong to handle the load

Wonders whether live notification system is currently enabled or not

Edit:
Baraka, I already know exactly how I'd do such a mod, from the minute it got suggested. It would be very efficient but likely overkill for WJ.

Include a TLDR at the bottom of your post next time, yours could've been summed up in one sentence:
"I'm trying to figure this out myself, maybe using memcached would be a good idea."

Overkill in what way? Bad server or you think it is not required atm?

Last edited:
I do agree a system like this would increase the interaction and activity of what members do!! As JmZ said I do however also agree it could be too overkill. However I feel it would be good if we done a trial of it?

Not gonna happen. The post wasn't for you nor was it meant for you. I only wanted to show for the others like Rick etc that this is a possible thing that "could" be used to do such a mod. Not everyone here on WJ is gonna come up and say "I already know exactly how I'd do such a mod, from the minute it got suggested." Yes of-course its overkill and no one here is trying to judge you if you can or can't do such a thing cause if that was the case I would of made it very clear and direct to you ;). I'm not going to post something for short, I do feel that everyone should at least know the process it'll take or whatever but that's just me. Anyhow my suggestion isn't needed

Last edited:
Your post could've been written in a single line with ease as shown by my post, that was the point.

Don't wink at me again.

For those of you who want this looking into, im having a think about it as we speak and writing up some ideas. Even if we dont use it, it may be interesting to code.

Don't wink at me again.
;););););););););)

Ontopic:

I would like to see this i think its a great idea would help people reply to support threads faster as they would notice them faster. Providing it does not put too much load on the server.

Definitely has its benefits though as long as it has a disable option for people like Pi0 who are not keen on it if it does get added.

You mean this:

sBWrA6L.png

Of what importance is to you, to know who liked your post? How is that beneficial to anyone to have that mod, that is first question.
To know who quoted you, well, if you don't follow that topic to see who replied what, it means you are not interested in it anymore, why would you need to be notified?
Forum is not instant messaging system, and there's no need to be turned into that. IMS is already invented, and used.
Also, we're in HUGE process of overthinking everything that we can workon, ideas from top to the bottom to see which change brings most benefits. So, if you don't see it, it doesn't mean nothing is going on. :)

You mean this:

sBWrA6L.png

Of what importance is to you, to know who liked your post? How is that beneficial to anyone to have that mod, that is first question.
To know who quoted you, well, if you don't follow that topic to see who replied what, it means you are not interested in it anymore, why would you need to be notified?
Forum is not instant messaging system, and there's no need to be turned into that. IMS is already invented, and used.
Also, we're in HUGE process of overthinking everything that we can workon, ideas from top to the bottom to see which change brings most benefits. So, if you don't see it, it doesn't mean nothing is going on. :)

1. Something similar to subscribing, but getting notifications over here on wjunction and not on mails. Its just like while using facebook, you don't end up to check your mail box to see who posted on your wall / commented on your pic

2. Liking, yeah it isn't needed.

3. You are partially correct on quoting. If you replied to 10 threads, it is not really easy to keep checking each one of it and see for a response. With notifications, it becomes easy to see if someone has actually made a reply to your response.

Im a member on another site that has both Mentions & Quotes, You also get a notification when recieved ...

Cmexmh8.png

LRMCuHi.png

Both are great features and would be great to have on WJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back