Need recommandations for starting with PHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laz0r

Hello!

I'm looking for a way/site to learn PHP in a fun way and a understandable way. Wish to be able to make my own scripts soon :)

I aleready know HTML and CSS so that part is simple enough.

Please post sites/videos where you learned PHP :sun:

12 comments
Wrox has great books on PHP.

tizag has straight forward PHP educational and reference material.

I would assume that you already have a server on your PC? If not, you should get one... it rapidly speeds up learning and development without the need for file transfers and web requests.

Follow the right practices. Most people get drawn into the wrong way. It's hard to trust most tutorials these days.

Right some procedural code until you are comfortable enough you know the basics before diving into OOP. And don't immediately use frameworks, unless you already are familiar with another OOP programming language.

If you are looking for free PHP video tutorials phpadademy on Youtube makes some great tuts. (Try to avoid his older videos though)

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/user/phpacademy

I found that throwing myself into it and start making (mostly pointless) scripts was a good way to learn fast because you will screw up a lot then you can study what you did wrong and correct it.

Wrox has great books on PHP.

tizag has straight forward PHP educational and reference material.

I would assume that you already have a server on your PC? If not, you should get one... it rapidly speeds up learning and development without the need for file transfers and web requests.

Already using XAMPP for all testing of my websites :)

And thanks for the link

If you are looking for free PHP video tutorials phpadademy on Youtube makes some great tuts. (Try to avoid his older videos though)

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/user/phpacademy

I found that throwing myself into it and start making (mostly pointless) scripts was a good way to learn fast because you will screw up a lot then you can study what you did wrong and correct it.

Totally agree with shadow.prx

Vouch for PHPAcademy

Learn the basics first and start doing the projects dealt in PHPAcademy side by side.

Creating simple PHP projects will be a lot more interesting than simply viewing tutorial videos and not trying anything.

I always try the things shown in the tutorials and play around with it for a while to get used to it and try it in different ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back