Status
Not open for further replies.

am1000

I have a small site and before I used shared host for more than 1 year. 4 month ago i started face down time frequently so I asked why that and my host provider told me that I must take vps.
my question is this: How do I know if I really need a vps for my site?
I tested vps for some month and I feel that is only wast of my money.
any help will be appreciate

14 comments
in these situations companies tell that because of high resource usage of your site, bad script, bad design or/and high traffic and etc. you need to ask your company to help you find the problem and try to solve it :) is it on linux or windows? what script you use?

If your site is really big, then you should go with vps or dedicated servers.
Otherwise Shared Hosting is perfect for a small or medium size site's!
VPS using is not a waste of time and money. It's depend on you.

well this what I did. I started with shared plane and then they told that I must take vps that even if I upgrade shared plane I will face same problems. this is the reaosn why i took vps but again I fee that is only wast of my money.
I'm using smf

This is the marketing strategy of them.
They just want to sell their vps and they succeed!
Next time you should go with some trust able host who allow you to upgrade your plan.
BTW, what's the configuration of that shared hosting package??

If you use too much resources for shared hosting then you must take a VPS.

Shared hosting is designed to serve a few 100 sites, more than 500 in most cases. Those are supposed to be small and low-traffic sites.

Why do you feel VPS is a waste of your money? You can check your current resource usage / load on the VPS. If VPS load stays below 0.2-0.3 most of time then you may be able to live with shared hosting. Otherwise, VPS is needed.

P.S You get increased stability, security and guaranteed resources on a VPS.

Last edited:
i also have bad experience with more then 3 or 4 hosting site when i start working on web sites , after perches of date like money back time end they suspend my site many time when i contact with support they said u have high traffic and buy vps , this is trick of many hosting sites, now we have own hosting site we r sale hosting and reseller :) rackhost.biz

Kruno gave a great advice, Follow that.
Also, there are Less customers on the server on which your VPS will be hosted, so less chances of screw-ups.

It's all about Resource usage. If you're making High Loads & Have many Entry processes, then you definitely need a VPS or you else can also try Optimizing your site (which in some cases ain't helpful that much).

my forum is small. it's private forum , isn't open to search or goolge and only register people can view boards. I have almost 1000 members. Max users on line are 30 .
this situation has remained unchanged for more than a year. I think i got just 8 new register in this last 12 month. for this I feel that is wast of money have vps. why before shared host was good and now no? the only think that changed are number of thread and topic. I don't use any kind of adsens.
I thought that there are parameters or tool that determine if one have to take a vps.
maybe you are right that vps is better but why take vps when I can share my site with shared host plus now with vps I have always dns problems and it's more complicate for me manage all
thanks for the help :)

If your site is small then shared hosting is fine for you!
Anyway, You should check out our site!
You can also try your luck for our 1 month free giveaway.
Check that on Giveaway section!

Best Regards,
GeekHosting
OffshoreGB.In

To me it sounds like your host suspended you because of high resource usage and want you to be offloaded from other websites on your own VPS. How many hits per day does your site get, on average?

well this what I did. I started with shared plane and then they told that I must take vps that even if I upgrade shared plane I will face same problems. this is the reaosn why i took vps but again I fee that is only wast of my money.
I'm using smf

Hi,
The breaking point of decision between shared and VPS hosting is your requirements. If you have a large website that faces lots of traffic on a daily basis, then I would recommend you to go for VPS. Otherwise a good shared hosting plan is enough. If you are having issues with your current hosting provider then I would advise you to change and go for another one. Try out another web host for a month, check their service quality and then go for a yearly plan if your requirements are met. If not, try another one. There are lots of hosting providers out there. Don't stress so much over one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back