Status
Not open for further replies.

nYXem

Here's my question.

Lets say I've a site at mysite.com hosted on a shared host and using the nameservers provided by them.
Now I want to use a subdomain, say sub.mysite.com and point it to a Google App Engine app using their CNAME records.
Now the two are possible separately I know that.
But is it possible to keep the settings, like domain using external nameservers(that of my shared hosting provider) and subdomain using CNAME records of Google?
By the way, the domain registrar is Dynadot.

Please help. Extremely urgent.

1 comment
Your shared host needs to have a manage DNS feature. Once you have entered that you can create other DNS records. If your host allows more than one domain to be hosted as well as subdomains then such feature should exist. Since you edited your domain name's name server records to point to your shared host, your creation of any type of DNS records for your domain remains at their mercy. :P

If they do not offer such feature then it is time to get a new host. Any host offering unlimited subdomains and domains is worth looking into if they are worth it to expand by adding other domains you purchase. When looking for shared hosting, I avoid hosts that limit your number of domains and that do not provide DNS management. You can always use an outside DNS provider. :D

Dynadot provides limited DNS service with only allowing you to have a limited number of A, CNAME, TXT, and MX records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back