Need help thinking of a good domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Google-

Hello. I am looking to create a general forum like nextgenupdate.com and thetechgame.com and I was struggling to find a suitable name. Can you guys please help me out and leave some suggestions.

4 comments
Keep it simple

Conventional wisdom places value on simple easy to remember URL names.

A lot of that has to do with language. For example, "TechNeat.com" makes sense in English but is meaningless in Finnish.

Watch out for homonyms. "ion" sounds like "iron" or even "eye on" in English. Word of mouth is one way your URL gets distributed so you don't want the spelling to be ambigous.

Selecting a name boils down to putting yourself in the shoes of the public you want to reach. What language do they speak? Is your URL name easy to remember? Is the URL easy to type?

Descriptive names like "Technical_Talk.com" help convey what you are about. But there is a trade off between a hard to type name and the descriptive value of the more cumbersome name. Some marketers argue that catchy but non-descriptive names like "Exxon" or "eBay" are preferable to more cumbersome names.

Personally I'm not keen of extents other than ".COM" or perhaps ".ORG". I reflexively type ".COM" for example. With all the domains parked at obnoxious advertising sites or link farms you don't want your potential visitor to get distracted by having to beat off a deluge of pop-up ads because of a common typing error.

Regards,

Aza D. Oberman
Washington DC USA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back