Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushant

Hi
I have a Server purchased from OVH and I am managing it remotely. You can see its configuration in the following link
EG2R Dedicated server - OVH

I have SQL Server 2012 Trial version Installed on my server and there is 2 databases currently running on it which are attached to two different different software. Now i want to extend it from Trial version to Licensed version,for that i need license. I want to use Standard Edition So my questions are following:

1. CAL's are only valid for SQL server database accounts or are they applicable on software users? suppose i have one software which stores Information about users (Name,email,username,password etc.) so the CAL's will be applicable on those user accounts of SQL Server Database accounts?
2. What type of License will good for me (core,cal etc.)

If anyone can please explain me all the above question then i think it will be helpful for me to purchase this product.

P.S Mods if its in wrong section please move it to correct section

Thanks

2 comments
I can help with this.

1) I believe you do have Windows 2008/2012 as the base OS of the server. You need to get WinSvrStd ALNG LicSAPk MVL 1Proc If you have 2008/2012 std or 2008 ent version of the OS installed on server and you are the sole user of the server. If you have more than one remote desktop users you need to get WinRmtDsktpSrvcsSAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL for each of them.

2) As per the latest SPLA pricing structure there is no CALs available for SQL Server 2012. The ones available are SAL and Core License. Core based license costs 100$+ every month. Each SAL costs around 15$ and you need to license all the
users on SQL server. I guess you have two different users for two different database. In this case you need two SAL License.
But you can reduce the cost to one SAL by using single user with access right on both database.

I can help with this.

1) I believe you do have Windows 2008/2012 as the base OS of the server. You need to get WinSvrStd ALNG LicSAPk MVL 1Proc If you have 2008/2012 std or 2008 ent version of the OS installed on server and you are the sole user of the server. If you have more than one remote desktop users you need to get WinRmtDsktpSrvcsSAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL for each of them.

2) As per the latest SPLA pricing structure there is no CALs available for SQL Server 2012. The ones available are SAL and Core License. Core based license costs 100$+ every month. Each SAL costs around 15$ and you need to license all the
users on SQL server. I guess you have two different users for two different database. In this case you need two SAL License.
But you can reduce the cost to one SAL by using single user with access right on both database.

Thanks mate for explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back