Status
Not open for further replies.

-saMmy-

Hello dear friends,

my one friend has recently created a website on tech and now he have more than 250+ post. His website is based on WP and when recently he took the backup the backup size was 135Mb in just 250+ post. Please Help how to reduce the size of the backup??? please guide ... !!!

P.S Images are taking so much space

Last edited:
9 comments
Optimize the database,

Theres really no way to decrease it my drastic numbers tbh check and see how big mdl_backup_log is usually it will be fairly big.

135 MB only? My previous DataBase on my forum was 25 GB xD That's pain in the ass to download or backup :P

But tell him to tar it via ssh, it will reduce the size to few MB's ;)

You can use regular wordpress plugin for no-hassle DB optimization, like WP optimize, or Adminer, for backup, you can use Duplicator plugin

may be because of images , is he hosted on website ? if yes then reduce the size of image's , i think wp DB is not as big , if it is big use .gz compression ;)

If there is a cache plugin for the images then it could be possible @cometolearn.

How ever if you dont want to take your own backups daily, use www.comcure.com 1 site free backups great tool ive used for nearly a year on servode.com and my db is about 8GB

Dude, tell him to use mysqldump via SSH and TAR it then... It's the best option -_-

Take backup:
cd /home/user/
mysqldump --opt -u user -p DB_name > backup.sql
ENTER PASSWORD/: xxxxxx

Example:
mysqldump --user=xxxxxxxx --password=xxxxxxxx -A > /PATH/TO/DUMPFILE.SQL

RAR your sql:
gzip --best file.sql

ZIP your sql:
tar -cjvf new_backup_name.bz2 file_to_zip.sql &

UNZIP BACKUP
tar -xvf <file_name>