Status
Not open for further replies.
15 comments
Are you sure it's an official site ? I mean the owner is really MySQL ? I doubt ...

I think it's just a site made by some mysql fans , trying to save mysql from oracle.

MySQL can go and suck my dick if they think they're getting money from me.

I thought MySQL was open source wasn't it?

First of all, the site referenced in the first post is nothing to do with MySQL "officially".

Secondly, theres a low chance it'll become a paid piece of software. But even if it does, who cares? Just use Postgre.

Yes i believe Sun(r) are trying to take over or another company ! i cant remember but i did read about this few months back ill have to recheck!!

Actually Oracle is trying to take over Sun (Sun currently owns MySQL).

JmZ, if MySQL turns commercial it'll be a huge impact. MySQL is used by majority, whether in websites or companies, I mean I've done work for a company that didn't want to use Oracle, mainly because of cost and functionality, so I suggested MySQL.

If Oracle does get ownership of MySQL and decides to stop development on it, then you'll see a lot of sites and companies go bye bye, just because most are only "trained" for MySQL.

I bet you that at least 65% of the people here never even heard of PostgreSQL, or even SQLite!

There are many alternatives to MySQL, yes, but that doesn't mean what's happening is nothing, they're basically trying to pull out a very popular and free product, people will get mad.

What if MS took over PHP, and forced ASP?

Actually Oracle is trying to take over Sun (Sun currently owns MySQL).

JmZ, if MySQL turns commercial it'll be a huge impact. MySQL is used by majority, whether in websites or companies, I mean I've done work for a company that didn't want to use Oracle, mainly because of cost and functionality, so I suggested MySQL.

If Oracle does get ownership of MySQL and decides to stop development on it, then you'll see a lot of sites and companies go bye bye, just because most are only "trained" for MySQL.

I bet you that at least 65% of the people here never even heard of PostgreSQL, or even SQLite!

There are many alternatives to MySQL, yes, but that doesn't mean what's happening is nothing, they're basically trying to pull out a very popular and free product, people will get mad.

What if MS took over PHP, and forced ASP?

Good applications should be coded in such a way that they are portable and can make use of various database engines.

I could switch 90% of my scripts/apps to postgre with the change of a few config files. I suspect professional businesses are in the same situation.

And if you don't use an app but directly interact with the db, it's still SQL. Only the engine and features change. If you know SQL, you can use any SQL engine.

So again, i'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back