Status
Not open for further replies.

Albertwu

Hi there,

I feel somewhat ashamed of having to ask this, but here goes!

I have 2x servers with the following os/control panels:

1x Windows Server 2008 running Plesk 9.2
1x Centos 5.3 running cPanel/WHM

What I wish to do is to point all of my domains to the nameservers:

ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com

But, the domains hosted could be on either of the boxes above (because some sites are ASP.NET and others PHP).

Each of the above machines are running BIND and I have not yet setup nameservers on either of them. How should I proceed with this?

In addition (for arguments sake), if I then add additional servers how would I then achieve the same?

If there's already stuff around on the forum (I've done a search but found nothing specified to my issue of running a windows and linux box with completely different control panels) please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

2 comments
I think most simple solution would be you registering ns1 and ns2 to point to one server (php one) and ns3 ns4 to other server (asp one) and assign your domains these nameservers accordingly. if the site is asp, then you use ns3 and ns4 as these pointing on your windows webserver IP. btw you dont need to be ashamed to ask as no one born with computer knowledge and no one knows everything.

Last edited:
If both IP's on the server are configured on the same Network Adapter, then if first fails, the second would fail as well. You can have one server setup to handle both primary and secondary DNS, as long as both IP's are configured on separate Network Cards. If you are not happy with that, then just get a 2nd server to handle secondary DNS. The 2nd server can also act as a backup for other data, if you are trying to minimize costs and utilize all of your resources available without creating extra costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back