Kimsufi 2G HDD Crash-Can't Mount Disk in Rescue Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golconda

Hi guys,

I have had a Kimsufi 2G for over a year.

Last night the hdd crashed and needs to be replaced.
They put me in "rescue mode", which I have used before for a similar incident, but when I try to list the disks to mount them I get no results (OVH : RescueMode).

Any idea why and how to sort this?

Thank you

8 comments
Hi guys,

I have had a Kimsufi 2G for over a year.

Last night the hdd crashed and needs to be replaced.
They put me in "rescue mode", which I have used before for a similar incident, but when I try to list the disks to mount them I get no results (OVH : RescueMode).

Any idea why and how to sort this?

Thank you

Has the HDD fully failed or just SMART errors? Most OVH servers i've had just outright fail, so it's best to restore from a backup.

As mentioned earlier it totally depends on the state of your Hard Drives,
Happened to me twice and thats what forced me to leave OVH for good.

You can try running some utilities to read data from a crashed HDD, but it's not guaranteed that you'll get back your data.
Best is to contact OVH to replace the drives and then use your backups.

As mentioned earlier it totally depends on the state of your Hard Drives,
Happened to me twice and thats what forced me to leave OVH for good.

You can try running some utilities to read data from a crashed HDD, but it's not guaranteed that you'll get back your data.
Best is to contact OVH to replace the drives and then use your backups.

Hi guys thank you both for your replies.

I am totally inexpert so I'll try to explain the best I can.

First of all it's a just small server that I use to download some stuff and I have no backup for it unfortunately.
They advised me to make an ftp backup before they replace the drives but, apart the fact that I don't know how to run it, the backup space is a lot smaller that the size of the hdd.
Will the back up just save the server configuration?

Anyway the server is now in "rescue mode" and I was advised to run the hardware tests.
Unfortunately the hard disk test is missing altogether (Screenshot by Lightshot) so i don't know how I can actually check the disks.

Even if I connect to the server in ssh and try to list the disks (fdisk -l) I get no results.
Someone from support told me that the disk is still there.

I have had a similar problem already in the past and managed to mount the disks and get my data back via filezilla but now I have no clue what the problem is so any advise is welcome.

Serverpolice can you recommend another provider for small servers please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Try and reboot the server from shell then see if the drive shows up then , it doesn't sound like you will be recovering anything.

Hi,

When the server is in rescue mode it is booted from Network via a PXEServer (Atleast thats how we do).

So to access your files, you need to mount your file system first.

We can help you but we have to charge fees for Data Recovery.

Regards.

If your server is running software raid you might need to start the raid daemon first, you can't mount individual harddisks.. Remove the broken one from the array and have them replace it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back