Is There A Demand For This? Does It Already Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick

A couple years ago when I entered the filesharing...community (which I use in a very broad sense).

The site that actually first interested me was the now HORRID MUF and the (now dead/napping/whatever) MU. MU for lifetime, streaming, and lack of filesize limitations and MUF because it was the only site I'd ever come across with decent organization (including the removal of dead links).

As I turned into a whale/hoarder/sharer I started to have a problem with the lack of quality uploading on MUF (both a lack of HD and a lack of information in filenames and posts).

With everything that has been going on with hosts I've been diving more and more into private trackers and Usenet (although even before I had almost completely transitioned). A few of the private trackers (probably BTN being the top) have VERY impressive organization (and a fantastically tight and helpful community).

However, while I think torrents are great and a lot of the trackers are fantastic, I do a lot with old content and big content. Usenet can store that but lack of lifetime quality access to the content, the ridiculously complex and CPU intensive process of getting anything uploaded for sharing, etc. mean I'm gonna be dealing with some other sources as well (although it's a fantastic source and I hope to have it be a part of any site/system I build).

What AMAZES me about all this is how insane everything I've come across is. Millions of posts, millions of completely dead, incoherent and inconsistent naming of files, posts, threads, etc.

As a complete fucking moron (I'm essentially only half a step up from a house-trained monkey playing with a keyboard) I've managed to obsessively put together a couple scripts (mostly just putting it into one) that can/will-be-able-to rename files (and store data, etc.) that I process through my server.

At the moment it's been geared towards TV content (my particular cup of tea), but movies will be easy to add.
Show_Name S##E## Episode_Name Resolution Source Audio_Codec Video_Codec Group_Name
Movie_Title Resolution Source Audio_Codec Video_Codec Group_Name

Some of all this sorting out would be able to parse info from some other places and throw that info in if it can find it all.

Of course, I'd make it so things could be posted and the information filled out (hopefully mostly by getting an NFO|Release_Name and helping the user out as much as possible).

The fact that all this host/corporate bullshit has made anything having to do with links in-fucking-possible, why haven't I come across a site that is doing this with Usenet and/or any of the file hosts?

It feels possible I just haven't spent enough time looking/finding? On the other hand I feel I'd be better informed than the average person even though I haven't been keeping up.

Is there some huge wall I'm just not seeing yet? Does anyone have reason to think actual users are somehow opposed to this? I'm...confused.

2 comments
Well no, in fact I think of lot of the Usenet search engines are pretty fantastic.

I end up playing around with Mysterbin, Binsearch, and NZBMatrix a lot since neither Mysterbin, nor Binsearch have all the functionality I find myself looking for (but both are fairly close, actually) and NZBMatrix is always a pleasure because it's organized.

I've also given some money to Merlin's Portal, but that site hasn't quite gotten in right, in my opinion.

I do want to include Usenet as one of the sources. But I also want to have links from essentially any host anyone wants to use. I guess I just wasn't all that specific about any of this host stuff because at the moment everything's been so hectic I myself am basically just waiting for the dust to settle or for a new host to emerge with a...MegaUpload-like setup and prove themselves stable for awhile.

But no, I meant to make it clear one of my basic...feelings/motivates about all this is that personally I infinitely preferred hosts over torrents and even Usenet--although I do use both.

I suppose if I were trying to describe what I'm imagining in terms of existing projects I know about it would be a combination of something like a Merlin's Portal (sans chaos) + Filestube (sans the linking to other sites and just grabbing from other sites) with an advanced filtering/categorizing functionality (BTN being a pretty good example, but since a lot of people won't have gotten to experience that...) things like:

Movies
Movie Title
Release Year
Resolution
Source
Audio Codec
Video Codec
Group Name
Extension

TV Shows
Show Name
Season
Episode
Resolution
Source
Audio Codec
Video Codec
Group Name
Extension

Those are the only categories I feel comfortable with at the moment, but I feel comfortable that there can be a right answer for Music. Similarly so with Applications.

XXX stuff seems too crazy and I know too little about how it works; at the moment I wouldn't anticipate trying to add that to the project, but would be happy to if a good database emerged and/or if someone wanted to help do the coding for that part of the project (I have nothing against it morally or anything, just not my thing).

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

What I'm hoping already exists, but otherwise am considering work at would be based on organization/ease-of-use type things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back