Is it possible to change MD5 of media files (single links)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtlx

Hello, I read this thread http://www.wjunction.com/showthread.php?t=18354 and found MD5 "changer" plugin for Rapidleech. I do not use rapidleech, but it got me thinking whether it is possible to change checksums of media files as well.

So I checked out how does that rapidleech plugin work and it seems it only appends "0" to end of file in order to change its checksum. It looks that this change does not affect .rar files, but it could affect for example .avi files. I tried it on one .avi file and my VLC could still play it. That does not mean though, that other players would ignore this "junk" at end of file as well.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you tried it?

7 comments
Technically , MD5 checksum of file will be unique..
may be the plugin just adds some raw data to the file..and thus changing the MD5 checksum..

if you are onlinux, you can make use /dev/zero to add the desired number of bytes to a file ..
the file wont be same anymore, thus changing the checksum.

its the other way around if u change md5 of rar many times, chances of getting corrupt is more but media file will still play fine

@kama thanks, could you please elaborate more on .rar corruption? D you mean if I add too much junk to end of .rar file, it may become corrupted?

@desiboy thanks for your input, probably my title was misleading. In fact I know how the md5 changer plugin in RL works, but I was unsure whether such technique could corrupt media files (.avi, .mkv, .iso, .bin and possibly others formats/containers used in scene releases)

Yes, I belive it is possible to change the MD5 of media files. I have done so with .avi files before and they have played fine.

I also asked at another warez forum and I was told it was possible. Hope this helps.

I created a bash script for this

I call it "fucker" and it basically just echos a random number into the file, I've done this on a number of compressed (RAR) and uncompressed files without any corruption...

#! /bin/bash
touch ./'$filename'
for filename in ./*
do
if [ "$filename" != "$0" ]
then
echo $RANDOM >> "$filename"
fi
done
rm ./'$filename'

Status
Not open for further replies.