Importance of Domain TLD Extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith

I was doing some SEO research sort to speak and I need some advice from experienced SEO guys.

To put it simple. I'll give an example, not real, just what is on top of my head and close to what I'm trying to do.

Let's say we're talking about "How to Design" keyword.

On first page of Google, #1 is listed how-to-design.com website. However, few other results on the first page of Google don't have "how to design" keyword in their domain, instead they have other non related keywords but they are on .com tld.

Now let's say I buy howtodesign.me domain and I do all necessary on-page SEO optimizations + of course some off-site legit link building and other ways to generate traffic (social network sites etc), would it be able to compete with those domains on first page of Google a.k.a take their place, position above those sites that don't have exact keyword in the domain and be on first page of Google?

It may be a bit weird question but hey I'm learning and I'd appreciate any real input.

Thanks!

11 comments
You should always look at the competition and "how to design" competition is tough as the sites has high pr (popular sites) and would be tough keyword to rank for. For the tld, I think it helps a bit not sure about that, I would like to know also

This is for me
http://i.imgur.com/n5K8y.png

.com is the king of the web currently followed by .net and .org, so you should first research the keyword that you want with google keyword research and see the competition. You need to have low competition on the keyword, because if you do all the proper seo services (onpage and offpage) you will rank in the first 5 positions. But remember the seo process is an ongoing process, so you will have to keep adding quality content, quality backlinks and check on the onpage stats of the site.

Here is an example of a good keyword:
"lol forums" Low competition
Global Monthly Searches - 40,500

Also if you did find a good keyword, go check your competiton and analyze it very well, see where they have backlinks and so on.

Good luck!

yes, you have an advantage of keywords in domain, and i see no reason, that if you do good seo, why wouldn't a .me domain can compete with .com ones .

.com is the king of the web currently followed by .net and .org, so you should first research the keyword that you want with google keyword research and see the competition. You need to have low competition on the keyword, because if you do all the proper seo services (onpage and offpage) you will rank in the first 5 positions. But remember the seo process is an ongoing process, so you will have to keep adding quality content, quality backlinks and check on the onpage stats of the site.

Here is an example of a good keyword:
"lol forums" Low competition
Global Monthly Searches - 40,500

Also if you did find a good keyword, go check your competiton and analyze it very well, see where they have backlinks and so on.

Good luck!

No worries, for niche I'm going I can write ton of unique content. I just hope I can take out those domains on first page which don't have exact keyword in the domain while I do have it.

And sadly, for those keywords, com, net and org are taken.

yes, you have an advantage of keywords in domain, and i see no reason, that if you do good seo, why wouldn't a .me domain can compete with .com ones .

I hope too.

Thanks for your input guys!

The TLD has definitly a value SEO wise. that's a fact. I would tend to say that ".info" are a bit devaluated and geotargetted TLD are better to target a specific area

However, it isn't the only factors.

What you need to know, is that SEO can be compared to school literally and websites are like students.

So basically to be the first of the class you don't need to have the best grades everywhere. (art work for example :p)

You need to have excellent, the best grades in the subjects which have more weight.

Then you do the sum according to the weight of each subjects and you have the rankings in school.

Well, SEO works exaclty as above, except that instead of 20 subjects you have near 200 !!

100 factors are identified so far (more or less) and you need to work on the one you can !

If your domain is new, too bad age's a main factors, if you have the wrong TLD and none others are available, too bad, but now work from this basis, it doesn't mean you wouldn't reach the 1st spot.

NO, its quite wrong that domain extension matters, I was reading some posts of the Admins of Seomoz and Seobook and I have read almost 50+ ebooks from warriorforum, In the end, I conclude that the domain extension doesnt matter. I saw a guy ranked his site (.info) at first page few months ago. Remember the site Sceper.eu It was first spotted at google for keyword "Latest scene releases" Only Backlinks and SEO matters, Thats what I say.

Thanks
Faizan

No TLd don't have any effect on SEO .If you change the tld of your site then it will have an effect that will take some time to stabilise.
However if you start a new site , any tld will do.
To compete with the .com ones you need
1)Quality content
2)Good onsite seo
3)You need to have more backlinks that your competitors (aka you need to work hard on this)
4)Your site Load time are one of the most important factor to consider -make sure your site loads fast(under 2 secs)

I hope i answered your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back