I'm thinking of doing a web design company, I want some tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctoveloz

Banned
Banned
I want to start saying that I still have no site or anything done.
want to get something right from the domain.
it would be something driven companies in my city, not something global, because i could go talk to people interested in my service.
I did a google search to know what would be my competitors:
http://www.google.com.ar/webhp?rlz=....,cf.osb&fp=16289d89111aaffa&biw=1366&bih=653

Keyword: Diseño Web Rosario

which can give me tips? as being the site name everything they can to help.

8 comments
One major tip: start to learn Web Design. There are so many 'web designers' and 'graphic artists' around that you must be really good and creative.

Forget a website and domain for now. First get a client. It can be a friend, relation, person at work or anything. You need to design them a site first and see if you like doing this, think of it as a trial. If you don't like doing it then it's all a waste of time.
Making your own personal website takes time and you have to know if it's worth the effort. You need to learn the most important things first like communication with clients, working to deadlines, implementing client changes and requests orders, invoices etc.

The next reason you need to get a client first is you need a portfolio. Their's no point creating a website if you've nothing to show on it. Nobody is going to hire someone if they have an empty website.

After doing a website you'll know more about what types of sites you'd like to focus on. You may prefer doing them for businesses, you may prefer doing them for sport. I have a friend and his company (who employ quiet a lot of people) do nothing but football websites for local teams across Western Europe. This is important as if you know what your going to be doing the most or what you'd like to be working on the most this will influence the design of your site.

If your doing websites for local charities, bands, schools, pubs, nightclubs, etc then it will be a totally different site from one aimed at businesses who what a more professional feel as the others want a more personal and approachable feel. It's very hard for a principle of a local school who know very little about computers to find someone to make a website so they need a different type of site compared to a company with an IT department.

Think a lot more about what your going to do, branding and if this is just something your going to try for 2-3 weeks or is more serious long term project.

Good to see you!

Well, before you start,
You 1st need some clients.

Attract clients through your website. This is the best way to do it.
Get work through social media. Twitter or LinkedIn.
Meet potential clients offline by joining professional groups.

http://www.meetup.com/ can help you.

3rd party sites which also includes blogs, forums.. You can share your knowledge, do some free service and gain clients..

It's good start.

What you need: As you can see there are so many web design companies.. Why you think that people will choose you?

The thing is, you need to be creative with proper set of skills and some motivation.

You should impress the clients and always try to understand them.. It's most important thing.

Try to learn few things additional things from other web designers.

You can do it!

-Good luck.

Also check out

Code:
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011/01/starting-a-web-design-business/
http://spyrestudios.com/tools-web-design-business/

I will suggest build gradually and gain reputation. Maybe some good work for people in your area. That way you have a strong friendly base to build on and expand

One major tip: start to learn Web Design. There are so many 'web designers' and 'graphic artists' around that you must be really good and creative.

More so don't call yourself a graphic design or a web designer if your knowledge is no more than a few tutorials you used to make a sig or some shitty ass html template.

I am a graphic designer but by no means call myself a web designer or try to sell my services for it however I do dable in it a bit, I CONSTANTLY have people referred to me via my other clients so that I can redo work for people who have paid for services only to find out that the person is incompetent an that they have wasted their money.

Grow your biz slowly and make life simpler.

You can make a fair income starting with just a few clients a month, then build them gradually.

Also, you may want to consider using one CMS or website builder application. This will make it easier and take less time to design your sites and manage them. You may want to look for one you can resell and rebrand with your logo, and not to difficult to use.

You can search the search engines for "sitebuilder reseller" and check out your options.

I recommend attending local meetup groups to meet potential clients. Such as small business meet ups and such.

You should definitely start small, deliver awesome work and ask for referrals afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back