iGotMusic (5*) - 2010 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Falcon

URL: http://igotmusic.org
Katz Rating: 5*
Katz Page: http://clean.katz.cd/site/igotmusic.org (We have just had our 4500+ topics removed because of our IPB conversion)

Lots of things have happened for the new year. After around 1 year online, I have successfully converted the board from phpBB3 to IPB 3. I love phpBB to death, I really do. But there was somethings that were really ticking me off and I have to leave it for the time being (we'll see how phpBB4 is in a couple years). I've worked with IPB 2.x in the past and I know my way somewhat, although forgot a lot.

IGM Features

• Open Forum - We are an open forum. Meaning there is no "guest" section. Everything is just laid out as it is, for guests and members alike. We do not have forced registration. IGM will be 100% free and open to use for ever.
  • Private Uploading - We have just recently switched to a private uploading community, this means each member who wishes to post downloads at our board has been verified by one of our staff, and they contain clean, quality posts.
  • Amazing Staff - This is possibly the nicest and best staff that I have worked with in my entire life. This is most likely due to that we're all musicians, and not rude people.
  • Request Section - We try our hardest to fill your requests within 24 hours, if we have no luck, you will still receive a reply no matter what. Members hate it when no one replies, found or not. This is our pride and joy right here. We love to help members find their music!
  • Clean Sections - We try really hard to create clean sections and not to split into the countless, infinite music generes. Instead we have the major ones, and we constantly watch them for dead links or bad threads.
  • Great Skins - We have two skins, one light and one dark, each have been customized to fit our site's needs. All custom graphics, icons, avatars, sigs, gfx, logos have been designed by Marvelous Mark (A good friend and my main GFXer for all my sites).
  • Great Activity - Lots of new music being posted everyday, as well as lots of new dead links being cleaned up everyday!
  • No Advertisements - Guests and members have absolutely no ads, popups, etc.. The only thing close to ads are our affiliate links.
  • Helping People - There is absolutely no feeling like the feeling of when you get your new bands/artists new or favorite album or that catchy song you heard on the radio. We are here to deliver that feeling. That is our goal.

2009 was a good year, full of hard work from all of our staff. I could not have done it without them.
A big thanks to grimgore, Gibson L5, and irockfuru. Our amazing Admin team, some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
Amazing work from our GMods and Cleanup Crew: I Refuse, Wolf, Nookie_Egg & jklung

Thank you to all the uploaders and members who have contributed their music uploads with us :)

2010 is IGM's year to shine. We will dominate the music section in Katz once again. We are Katz's No. 1 music-exclusive forum. And this year, I'm not afraid to say it B-)

16 comments
Well Faku, opinions may differ from others.

Site looks good GF ;)
But you should have a favicon and move user bar to the left :P Like I told you before :)

I can't see it neither
6d9e624c06.png

Site looks brilliant but one thing I'd suggest is customizing the mobile skin you've recently added.

Think you have too many links in the header too and it could be cleaned up a bit. To start with the links are the same for Registered and Guests when they should be different. eg shoutbox.
Remove the IGM Staff link as it's in the footer. Move the advanced search so it's beside the existing search text box. Get rid of the shoutbox link. You can just click on top of the shoutbox to open it in a new window and the Shoutbox navbar link is useless for guests anyway. Get rid of the Help link too. I like where it is at the very top for Guest and Guests don't need the link twice. Have it their for Registered too and remove it from navbar.
I'd get rid of the Request Music Link. It's pointless to Guest's as they can't make requests. It would be really cool for this link to show if the search results returned no results. eg. "No results found for ******* " Why not get our staff to help you find what your looking for by making a request." or something simillar and have a link. That would be very cool

I like how you've taken the step to make posting private so you have to be verified to post. Hope that works out for you.

Above the shoutbox (when logged in) you have warning messages saying to introduce yourself, forum issues and validated uploading group. Why not only show this to members who have zero posts or who are't validated uploaders? Sorta silly to tell people to introduce themselves who've already introduced themselves.

A suggestion as your a dedicated music site would be to have a sidetab that lists a Album of the week selected by staff and members? You can have cool custom stuff and features like this as your not like other warez sites.

Anyway, these suggestions are small and site looks great in general. I really like it 9/10

Nice work m8 :) gr8 looking forum, and active too.

I suggest getting a new logo and make that favicon.gif a favicon.ico otherwise it wont show on many browsers. (not showing for me on the latest ff)

Site looks brilliant but one thing I'd suggest is customizing the mobile skin you've recently added.

I have optimized the mobile skin. It is now much more friendly to use for both guests and members. I have added better navigation and more support for other devices.

webOS (Palm Phones - Pre/Pixie)
SymbianOS (Nokia Phones)
Opera Mini
Opera Mobile
PSP

Think you have too many links in the header too and it could be cleaned up a bit.

Yea, only problem is because I wanted two even rows of links, so i was just filling them in just because of even-ness (I hate not even things or not looking good things.)

However I have ideas on where to move a couple.

To start with the links are the same for Registered and Guests when they should be different. eg shoutbox.
Remove the IGM Staff link as it's in the footer. Move the advanced search so it's beside the existing search text box. Get rid of the shoutbox link. You can just click on top of the shoutbox to open it in a new window and the Shoutbox navbar link is useless for guests anyway. Get rid of the Help link too. I like where it is at the very top for Guest and Guests don't need the link twice. Have it their for Registered too and remove it from navbar.

I have cleaned it to one solid line of links. Things should be easier to use now. Still working out some bugs.

I'd get rid of the Request Music Link. It's pointless to Guest's as they can't make requests. It would be really cool for this link to show if the search results returned no results. eg. "No results found for ******* " Why not get our staff to help you find what your looking for by making a request." or something simillar and have a link. That would be very cool

Yes I've been meaning to add this, I finally found the file. This is done now :)

I like how you've taken the step to make posting private so you have to be verified to post. Hope that works out for you.

Nothing but positive results right now!

Above the shoutbox (when logged in) you have warning messages saying to introduce yourself, forum issues and validated uploading group. Why not only show this to members who have zero posts or who are't validated uploaders? Sorta silly to tell people to introduce themselves who've already introduced themselves.

That'd be hard to do, would require an external mod probably, I don't know of anyway to do this easier. Leaving it like that for a little while because the conversion from phpBB is still new.

A suggestion as your a dedicated music site would be to have a sidetab that lists a Album of the week selected by staff and members? You can have cool custom stuff and features like this as your not like other warez sites.

Yea these are being planned as well, couple more side-hooks will be put there.

Anyway, these suggestions are small and site looks great in general. I really like it 9/10

There's no such thing as small suggestions (*cough* wj feedback forum *cough*) everything thing you just said has helped in the biggest way. Thanks Mr. Happy! Keep the suggestions coming along! community help ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back