IFTTT - Put the internet to work for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amz

lBIUQ.png

IFTTT (If This Then That; pronounced ift) is a new web app that lets one perform a plethora of actions with web services, bridging the gap between them. You can have your Twitter info updated when you make changes to your profile on Facebook, or you can have your Instagram photos copied to Dropbox, or you can put your photos in a folder on Dropbox and have them posted to your Facebook. These are just some of the things you can do using IFTTT.

An IFTTT Recipe contains two parts, a trigger (This) and an action (That). When a recipe is triggered, it performs an action. The web services that IFTTT supports are called Channels. Most channels have some triggers and actions but some have only triggers while some have only actions. Facebook, Dropbox, Twitter, Facebook Pages, Date and Time, Youtube, Evernote, Email, Phone, SMS and Weather are just some of the channels supported at the moment.

For example, you can make a recipe with the channels Time and Date and Phone that gives you a wake up call at 5 AM every day. The possibilities are endless. :) You can create private and shared recipes, and there are thousands of shared recipes available for use.

Here's a shared recipe I created a few days ago: http://ifttt.com/recipes/42557

It lets you save a file to Dropbox by emailing the link with #dbdl as the subject to trigger@ifttt.com. Pretty nifty, isn't it? ;)

And here's another which sends you an SMS whenever a PM arrives on WJunction: http://ifttt.com/recipes/43130

Here are some popular public recipes created by users:

QaLmZ.png

Go and check out IFTTT: www.ifttt.com

If you make any public recipes please share them here in this thread. :)

Last edited:
10 comments
Really awesome, I'm glad you shared it to the community. I hope their SMS remains free, I love the SMS notifications <3 Alot of recipes to look into.

Last edited:
No, they probably won't. It's a third party service and has nothing to do with WJ. If you are talking about that SMS notification of PMs recipe then the most they can do to make it official is make the thread sticky. IFTTT isn't about just SMS's, it integrates a good number of services to make them work together. If WJ wanted to provide SMS notifications officially they would probably use a Voice/Text API like Twilio.

I don't see what difference it makes. Official or not you are getting the work done and your number is safe with them (probably safer than it would be in your WJ profile if the admins were to offer this little feature officially using something like Twilio).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back