How/where to get unlimited or a lot of A Host records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEVAC109

I hope you know what I mean by A Host record. If you don't, I'm referring to the feature in your domain manager that lets you create a hostname pointing to your desired IP.

ie. levac111.mywebsite.com points to (123.456.789.123). So the user only needs to enter the hostname, IP is not needed anymore.

I'm with NameCheap and it seems there is a limit somewhere. I think the limit is about 50 of that. I'm not 100% sure but there is a limit. I'm not ask millions of that but, should be large number like 100-500. I don't know. I just want to know how dedicated hosts do it, like OVH. They must have like over 10000 of them.

5 comments
The hosting companies have a dedicated DNS server which is responsible for handling DNS for their customers. Usually the limit is quite high as the DNS server is merely responsible for resolving the hostname to an IP address. Even if you run your own DNS server, there would eventually be a limit, lets say, a hundred thousand. Because more the number of queries per hour, more the load of the server, and at one point server won't be able to handle the load. :)

im using dnsmadeeasy. you can add as many records as you wish

you just have to point your root domain to dnsmadeeasy's dns entries at your domain registrar than you can configre your a records on their interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back